Trouble linking Australian bank account to withdraw money from PayPal account?

Jezep1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have set up a PayPal account and have a balance that I would like to transfer some money to my Australian bank account.

Trouble with this is when I try to link my account it asks me to provide an IBAN number. This is an international bank ID number that some countries use, but not Australian banks (Australian banks use a 'swift' number but this does not work).

I have Checked the PayPal website which lists Australia as a country where you can withdraw money to my Australian bank account you just need to link your account.

I've asked PayPal customer support and the response I get is frustrating to say the least.

They tell me I can only withdraw money to a Swiss or US bank account and I will have to provide this to PayPal.

I can't believe that all these businesses and private PayPal customers in Australia have all set up Swiss or US bank accounts just to get their own money from the PayPal account their bank account, surely it can't be this difficult?

It would be much appreciated if anyone here can help,

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jezep1 

That's because you have a Switzerland PayPal. Can't add AU bank to that. Has to be AU PayPal account you link a AU bank account to. PayPal accounts are country specific. You can add US banks to most major country's PayPal accounts since PayPal is a US company.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Jezep1
Contributor
Contributor

That seems strange, I set up a PayPal account from Australia so no sure why I would have a Swiss PayPal account. Is it possible to transfer my Swiss PayPal account to an Australian PayPal account?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Gwen

Hi @Jezep1,

That's a great question! We wouldn't be able to change the country from Switzerland to Australia, but any money that's in the Swiss account can be sent to the Australian PayPal account as a Personal payment and then you can close the Swiss account if you so choose. 

Thanks,

Gwen

Login to Me Too

dphii
New Community Member

Hi,

I'm running into the same problem. I'm unable to link my Australian bank account to my Paypal due to the Routing number which Australian banks don't have. I'm wondering if you managed to solve the problem?

Login to Me Too

ozmaninireland
New Community Member
I'm having the same issue Westpac says it doesn't hand IBAN but has a swift number instead
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.