Payment 'pending' whilst a review is carried out

TinaRibena
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried to make a purchase this afternoon and have been told that payment is 'pending, whilst the transaction is subject to certain checks'.

I understand that Paypal might want to check things on occasion to prevent fraud, but it leaves me with a rather embarassing situation with the retailer (and there is more than enough money in my bank account to cover the transaction).

What hasn't been made clear is how long this is likely to take. Days? Weeks? Months? 

Do Paypal let me know when the transaction has actually gone through? Or do I have to keep checking?

I have two step authentication turned on, so it surely would have been just as easy to send me a code to my mobile?

Would I be better off ditching Paypal and using alternative payment methods?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

TinaRibena
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that I can answer my own question. Two hours later Paypal have reversed the payment with no explanation whatsoever.

I have bought from this vendor via Ebay prior to this, but now Paypal won't let me spend MY MONEY on their actual website.

What absolutely appalling customer service on the part of Paypal.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @TinaRibena,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

I am sorry to hear that your payment has been reversed. Generally, it may happen that we hold a transaction that you send or receive for further checks. Once the review is completed, we may decide to reverse the payment for security reasons. In that case, I would recommend proceeding with the payment with a different payment method. 

I hope this helps!

Martina

Login to Me Too

TinaRibena
Contributor
Contributor

You are missing the point. WHY was the payment reversed? Surely I deserve some kind of a rational explanation?

I did pay by other means in the end, and have since received my goods.

Your 'answer' was not an answer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.