PayPal won't let me use my own money

MaryMarrs
Contributor
Contributor
My niece needed money, so I sent $5000 from my bank to my PayPal account. PayPal didn't send me any red flags about this, and it took 5 business days to do this. At no time did I get any message from them, asking what I was doing, telling me that there would be problems. Today, the money appeared as a balance in my PayPal account. When I tried to send it my niece, I kept getting "blocked" messages, telling me to contact customer services. I tried sending her $1000 and $100, nothing worked. Security had me reset my password, confirm that I was the one using the computer, add my cell phone, confirm multiple times that I'm not a robot, etc. Security didn't tell me that there was a problem. I sat on hold for 45 minutes to talk to a person who barely spoke English (and whom I had to repeatedly tell to slow down while talking so I could understand him) and who told me that Security has blocked my account from sending any money "due to a spike in my activity (the deposit)". When I asked why, the man could not tell me, as he said that his computer didn't say. He stated that he could see my PayPal activity and I have frequently used this service to send money, but never this much money, so it is blocked!!!! He did state that I could send the money back to my checking account and advised me to use another method to send my niece the money (if they had told me that when I started the movement of the money last week, I would have sent her a check then and she would have had it by now). So, when they don't want to resolve the problem, their customer service tells me to "go somewhere else". I'm now going to spread the word that PayPal sucks and should not be used for what they say their purpose is, to send money...….Terrible service, terrible customer service, and terrible security.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Jae

Hello @MaryMarrs,

I'm sorry to hear you had a terrible experience with PayPal. It sounds like the internal security system wasn't comfortable with the payment you were sending. This may occur if you are traveling, using a new device, or in this case, sending a higher than normal amount. Typically, the workaround would be to try a different funding source or retry the payment after 24 - 72 hours. I understand this may not be an ideal answer and apologize this upset you.

If you would like assistance with account specifics, please send us a private message on Facebook or a direct message on Twitter.

- Jae

Login to Me Too

MaryMarrs
Contributor
Contributor
Not buying your statements. I was on my laptop, which I use all of the time, was sitting in my living room, and tried to send $100, after trying to send the whole amount. There was no amount that I could send. BUT, lets say that what you say is true....then why would PayPal allow me to move $5000 into my paypal account without any redflag warning that I might not be able to use it? And why would ya'all expext me to use another funding source if I had the $5000 in my PayPal account to use? Why does your computer system direct me to do lots of things (change passwords, add cell phone, etc) if the internal security was never going to let me use my money? And why would your computer system direct me to customer service when he couldn't answer any questions either? Its all bunk and has left a very horrible taste in my mouth.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.