Can’t convert Currency

Bacalzo
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to convert the currency I received for four days and I keep getting this reply :

Looks like something went wrong on our end try again later.

I also messaged PayPal twice and have had no reply.

Is anyone having the same issue?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bacalzo 

Seems to be a worldwide paypal glitch with currency conversions at the moment.
Lots of posts about this issue on the forum last week or so.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bacalzo 

Seems to be a worldwide paypal glitch with currency conversions at the moment.
Lots of posts about this issue on the forum last week or so.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tori2021
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering why this problem is marked as solved? I still see the same issue, cannot convert GBD to US dollars. 

Login to Me Too

PrinzGr
New Community Member

Well, I think they say it's solved because we know what the issue is. It seems that there is an actual problem with PayPal, meaning that there's really nothing you can do to fix it on your own.

I am an English teacher that works for a Japanese School online and I currently live in Europe. The payment I receive is in Japanese Yen, but I buy things in Euros. I can't convert to Euros right now, but it's not because I'm doing something wrong. I've been able to do it for the past 7 months just fine until now.

We just have to wait and hope that we will be able to convert the money soon, because there's literally nothing we can do on our end.

Login to Me Too

Bacalzo
Contributor
Contributor

I have no idea why it’s marked solved..

I did make another post with PayPal phone numbers where you may find help if you call. Also I fixed my currency conversion by just converting the British Pounds by transferring it to my bank. So far I have not seen a charge from my bank.

Login to Me Too

Bacalzo
Contributor
Contributor

After explaining to PayPal through messenger that I could not convert money from British Pounds to Dollars and when I tried to convert money the message I received was “There is a problem on our end please try again later” the first person I messaged with sent it to PayPals technical team and they went into my account and converted my money and sent me an email.

The next time I tried to convert money to dollars I received the same message. So I got back on messages (they were also having problems) And told them the same thing was not working and the problem was on PayPals end. I received the most idiotic reply’s.. the first person just gave me the money conversion information you can find on PayPal. The next person told me how to convert my dollars into other currency “clearly not what I was asking. So I attached the message from the first person on messenger that sent my problem to technical support along with the email PayPal technical support sent me that they converted my money. I also told PayPal that other people in the community were having the same problem and the currency converter problem was on PayPals end. One person told me to clear my cookies cache and go on a computer or laptop..the next person wanted me to turn something into a file

take a picture and on and on. By this point I gave up. I did receive TWO phone calls from PayPal and I was not home either time and was to angry to call back. But I do have two phone numbers that maybe will help if you have a problem. PayPal phone : <removed>and the other number for PayPal is :[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]

I also found a way to convert my money. I downloaded the PayPal app and thought maybe that would work but it didn’t work like I needed it to so I just transferred the money I needed to convert into my bank account. It converted it before I put it in my bank and so far I haven’t received any charge but I still need to check my account again. 
Exceot for the first person Who helped me this has been the WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECEIVED FRIM A COMPANY!

Login to Me Too

John_Bennett
Contributor
Contributor
FYI, I found a possible workaround until they get this fixed for everyone. My currency conversion has been broken for over a week, and this just worked to convert GBP to USD: First, convert 1 unit in the *opposite* direction (in my case, 1 USD to GBP). Then try your original conversion again (in my case, GBP to USD). Mine finally worked. Note that this will likely cost you a tiny bit more due to the exchange rate on your 1 unit conversion, but it's probably worth it if you can't wait for PayPal to fix it.
Login to Me Too

Bacalzo
Contributor
Contributor

I did receive two phone calls back from PayPal but didn’t call back because I was so angry.

I did figure out I could just transfer money into my bank and they converted it..so far no charge.

I will put in the numbers for PayPal but I have to write them out because I put the number in my last post and they deleted one and said phone numbers aren’t allowed.

I would just call PayPal and tell them you are returning their call and tell them the issue you are having.

PayPal numbers are : <removed>

Paypals other number : <removed>

The one is before the area code.

I hope this helps someone 

Login to Me Too

tdjohns2
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is fixed now. I was able to convert GBP to USD at least. Hope the rest of you are also fixed.

Login to Me Too

Bacalzo
Contributor
Contributor

I’ll have to check mine.

I see PayPal deleted their phone numbers even though I wrote them out..🙄

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.