Buyer Protection and the Absolute Worst Experience With Paypal

Daxiongmao87
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

I've been a long time user of Paypal (Maybe a decade now).  I've purchased a ~$900 laptop from a pretty reputable chinese company back in november.  It was defective, and they offered to replace it or refund me (This is all available via chinese website's customer service log).  I chose for an exchange originally.  They gave me a return address based in california.  They say that's where they recieve all their returns and are then relayed to china.  I shipped to this address.  I was told that it may take up to February to get the item, and to be patient.  

Well, February rolls around, and they claim to never have gotten the item.  I called the post office that delivered the item and they have confirmed to me that it was delivered to the address given, and they provided me emails with the confirmation, signature, etc.  The chinese company then told me they have found the laptop I've returned.  But said they couldn't give me a refund because paypal has the funds on hold (the claim).

I filed a dispute with paypal.  After a few months of frustrating exchanges with paypal, they deny my claim.  I appealed, sending them EVERYTHING I had (they never even asked me for anything until I called thema 3rd time and a month after i filed the dispute, and they claimed to be waiting on me to send them a tracking number).  I gave them a copy of all of my emails between me and USPS, including an attached confirmation PDF of delivery to the address, as well as the WHOLE customer service dialog between Gearbest and I.  This log had everything, the address they provided me to ship to, the confirmation that they received it, etc.  

Paypal then informs me that the Chinese company provided them with a different shipping address (an address based in China).  And since that address doesn't match the address I sent to, Paypal cannot help me.  Paypal claims that the evidence I provdied (all of it) can be doctored so it cannot be used.  Only a tracking number they can access online.  

I am seriously out of options with paypal, and I am closing my account, I will not lookback.  I will not recommend you to anyone, and will be repeating this experience with anyone who asks about Paypal.  This is the worst experience I've had.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Daxiongmao87

If you want the dispute process to work for you t hen you need to  use it correctly.

File the dispute and give the evidence > escalate to a claim > wait until paypal tell you to return the item > wait for paypal to tell you WHERE to send the item back to > send it back trackable > you get your refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Daxiongmao87
Contributor
Contributor
There was no issue until after I sent the item back. RMAs are common processes in electronics transactions. I was under the impression that disputes should be made when there is a suspicion of wrong doing.. Which as I said, there was no suspicion until they claimed to never receive my laptop. Should I just go straight to filling disputes every time I receive a defective project? Even if the company seems compliant and willing to work with me?*PayPal states, try to deal with the company first and that disputes may not be necessary... I mean thanks for your input but please at least put in the effort to comprehend the issue
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Daxiongmao87

To be honest there was an issue as soon as you received the item and it was faulty.

So to protect yourself and at no cost to the seller you could have opened the dispute to resolve things between you keeping it ''official'' so you have buyer protection.

BUT having said that did you FUND your paypal purchase with a credit card?? If so then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Daxiongmao87
Contributor
Contributor
I regretfully used PayPal credit.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Daxiongmao87

ok well i have one more thought which i will keep to myself after reading this comment.

I mean thanks for your input but please at least put in the effort to comprehend the issue

If you are going to be rude to someone that gives up their own time to ''try'' and help you then don't expect any help in the future.

Bye

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Daxiongmao87
Contributor
Contributor
Your first response was not helpful at all, but yes. I sought help in the proper avenues with paypal and was let down, so I am not here for help. I here to warn those about my experience, and how poorly paypal protects their customers. Im not here for a volunteer advising. I'm providing my feedback. Happy kudos.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Gearbest is not new to this game and knows how to work the dispute loopholes.  And it is BS for them to say they can't refund because the funds are on hold.  The GB has to contact PayPal to refund if the dispute has been escalated. If the dispute has not been escalated, GB can refund within the case.  They're just being j*rkholes.

Stop buying expensive **bleep** you can't afford to lose from Chinese sites.  And do not buy clothes from Chinese sites if you live in the west as their measurements do not fit us and they are not contracted by western manufacturers who make clothes in the Far East to have the right measurements. One has to be a petite thing to wear their clothes.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Daxiongmao87
Contributor
Contributor
Wait, so Gearbest is known to do this, and Paypal doesn't do anything to prevent it?
Login to Me Too

myExperience
New Community Member
I ordered an item from eBay. The seller sent me the wrong item that I could not use. After contact the seller, they agreed to send me the correct item. And ask me to wait months and weeks. But the item never come. I asked them for shipping proof and they gave nothing. And the seller insisted to ask me to send back the wrong item without mentioning any thing about paying the postage. Looks like the seller was expecting I pay the postage and send back the package to China. The item I paid is only $1.92. The postage to send a tracable package to China is much more than this as you know. The seller should pay the postage to send the wrong item back to China if the seller wants to have the wrong item. I don't want to spend time and money to fix the problem the seller introduced. Then I opened a case with Paypal to try to get the money back. Again, Paypal agree to give me refund after I send back the item to China without mentioning who is responsible for the postage. Looks like Paypal encourages the seller to send wrong item to buyers without any action to fix their mistakes. I don't understand why I have to spend time and money to send back the wrong item to seller in order to get back my money, which is much less than the postage. As you know an US seller will give you refund right away when they made mistake sending a wrong item. If they want to item back, they will send you shipping label for you to send the item back easily.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.