warning burnt by paypal prepaid mastercard

maclum
Contributor
Contributor

I love paypal and have been using  monepak to add money with no problems. But I have recieved multiple emails from Paypal selling the benifits of the paypal prepaid mastercard so  I went to Walgreens and paid $ 150 for a Paypal prepaid mastercard thinking that I can use it straight away. 

I get home and try to activate it online.......but my social security, passport number and greencard number are not accepted ??????

So I call paypal and guess what, after entering all my card and personal information, it also does not work, then I find that there is no person to talk to, apparently paypal has bankers hours when it comes to actualy helping you????

So I send a email from their website and to my great surprise get a email back within minutes from a support person saying they realy want to help and will call me back immediately. Did they call back ????? no, so I rang the number they gave in the email and guess what, it went to voice mail they have gone home - again bankers hours.

So I went to the drug store that I purchased the card from, gave them my recept and asked them to transfer the money to a moneypak card. Bad luck, they were happy to take my money but cant refund, they called paypal as well and could not get any real person to talk to, how can that happen, can you imagine Walgreen not been able to talk to visa or american express???? that would not happen, but Walgreen could not get hold of anyone at Paypal.

So now I am left with a card that can not be activated, I receipt for $150 and a very bad tast in my mouth. Paypal does a great job with the actual transaction with the retail organizations for the purchase of goods and services but **bleep** at managing the mastercard pre paid process and should not agressively sell something they can not support, and in fact, that does not even work,

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

Phloxy

Amen to that

@MrSteppo wrote:

I logged in here for a different purpose, and glad I did. This information is priceless, and provides an insight into the operations of a large corporation - their utter uselessness - when things go off track.

Login to Me Too

Walterovsky

Thank you for this thread, I was going to apply.

How could Paypal agree to participate with netspend?

Just spent some time and read their full agreement:

You pay monthly, you pay to deposit your money, you pay on a transaction (when you spend you own money), so I do not know, but basically this card is generating constant fees for them.

You cant withdraw more than $940 per 24 hours. No transaction can exceed $5000 ever.There can be fee for negative balance, they are hazy explaining details.

Beaware, if there is a problem with YOUR original paypal account -  they put it on hold or other trouble, you WILL NOT be able to use your pre-paid balance, since prepaid will be frozen too.

Now - if you check your balance at ATM, they will take $0.50! LOL!!!!!!!!

Or when you withdraw you money from any ATM, on top of what ATM charges (usually $2 or $3) they will take $1.95 too!

Nice crap.

Login to Me Too

Upsetcustom
New Community Member

I agree.  the paypal prepaid mastercard is a big scam.  mutliple fees.  I had problems activating it and took 3 months to do so and when I acually got it to work, I found they have been charging me $4.95/month for something i Ihad not set up yet..  I spoke to 4 different peopel to no avail.  I reported them to ripitoff report website.  I recommend you report it to the ripitoff report as well so that PAYPAl the big company does something about it.  Shifting blame appears the name for this business. 

I feel your pain becuase I got burnt by them too by $109.90.

Login to Me Too

Rangers_customs
Contributor
Contributor
I have been burned a few times by this crappy Paypal prepaid card! Over the summer, me, the wife and our kids went on a long drive to Ohio. We live in Onsted Mi. and drove to Bryan Ohio.. Yeah, its not THAT far, but when your going to a family gathering, get to the place your going and go to transfer money to your card for GAS/FOOD/ENTRY FEE to the campgrounds everyone is at.. Then come to find out the prepaid site is down AGAIN.. I called, and they kept saying "I understand" and I about freaked.. No you dont! There is no freaking way you "Understand" how I'm feeling right now!!! Me and my family are freaking stranded, right around the corner from the campground, no gas, no food, no entry fee to see the wifes family, and were a bit of a way from home! I swear, I could have rung someones neck! haha.. Of course PAYPAL couldnt do anything.. I run an online business and my money goes to Paypal, and I transfer funds to the card as needed. This crappy prepaid site is messing up again, and currently 2 days! I have a whopping $2.55 on my card! I have money on my paypal account, but I cant access it due to the prepaid site being down AGAIN.
Login to Me Too

Rangers_customs
Contributor
Contributor
I try to transfer my money to the lame card, and it said I need to accept some new agreement, and to grant access on my paypal.. I have.. still cannot transfer money, cause it just repeats the same message!! I have "Accepted" the crap 5-6 times..hahaha.. The only thing Paypal says is sorry, call the prepaid.. Prepaid says, sorry, the sites down so we cant do anything.. But our tech's are on it and it should be fixed soon.. Thats awesome! So when the heck can I transfer my money????? I have **bleep** to ship!!!! My customers dont want to hear "I'm sorry, and I understand you want what you paid for, but prepaid screwed up again and your just going to have to wait" I'm currently looking for an alternative to paypal prepaid.. Also, when I sell on Ebay "which is owned by paypal" they charge 10% to sell, and then another freaking 3% for making the money?? WTF is that? Sounds like highway robbery!!! I have a feeling I'm going to cancel this crappy prepaid card, and stop accepting paypal, and not use ebay anymore.. screw this big scandel I'm stuck it.. OH, and then the freaking fee for the card hahaha.. I get charged soooooo many fees just to use this paypal thing.. Its just not right! I hope they get shut down.
Login to Me Too

hschramm83
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, prepaid is not allowing instant transferrs or bank transferrs at this time, so the information given by the reply email form paypal prepaid is not up to date as of today.  I am going to reply and see what they say.

I signed up for the prepaid because it seemed like a quick way to get to funds, it has worked well until now.  PayPal should just auto send a card to whoever gets one as they should realize why we do it.  I will probably just apply for one and wait and not deal with the prepaid side anymore.

What worries me is that it will not allow me to add the bank information to snail transfer to the card.  I had not done it prior, so that tells me this is not necesarily a technical issue, but maybe paypal is not wanting to allow this company access anymore...  I would think an IT probelm would be solved quicker than 2-3 days. 

Maybe they are severing ties as PayPal has always been improving and offering great service, this prepaid was a nightmere in the beginning and now seems to continue to have problems that are worriesome... 

Just my thoughts... 

Login to Me Too

sickofgreed
Contributor
Contributor

I never had an issue with the prepaid until now!!! I am can't transfer money to my prepaid. Couldn't get my daughters birthday cake, can't ship off anything etc etc etc. I get the same answer as everyone else. You we are working on it!! Really?? Are you kidding me. This has been going on since Thursday!!! I will call them back again tomorrow and tell them they better not charge me ANYTHING! I need my money. I think I will turn them in. 

Login to Me Too

hschramm83
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

The problem I was having adding the prepaid as a bank acount and using the snail method was not a prepaid issue.   I had it on there a while ago and removed it, paypal was able to resolve that... 

But yes, instant transfers are not available at this time... I am hopeful of Monday...  

Yes, it is very frustrating and any other weekend it would not have mattered one bit, but it chose to happen on a weekend I was off in my normal account and I really needed some of the several hundred dollars I have in paypal...  Oh well, lesson learned.. Never rely on another or technology! 

I am relieved thought that it does seem Paypal is not at odds with them and that is does seem to be just a techical issue...  

I have read of a few upset people... Yes, this **bleep**, but look in the mirror, and realize that being at zero **bleep**... I try to keep a couple hundred tucked away just in case... This was the first weekend in months that I did not.  The stress is not worth it, must make sure that I always do that, no more mess ups...  Anyway, overall, it has worked very well and it is a neat experience being able to post the right item and have money very quickly....

Login to Me Too

Rangers_customs
Contributor
Contributor
I've been getting emails all weekend from my customers "Angry customers" asking why I havent shipped their orders.. Just sold more items on Ebay lastnight too.. I figure I'll be getting in trouble soon for not shipping lol.. I'm moving across country very soon, would be nice to have my money during the cross country travels!! I will be calling prepaid again today, and I plan to be very stern with em. I called Paypal and complained, but of course, they said they cant do anything and that I need to apply for the business card directly with them. It takes 7-10 days to get their card, and I dont have that long before my move so I will do that once I get to California I guess.. Prepaid BETTER get this crap fixed asap!!
Login to Me Too

hschramm83
Contributor
Contributor
As for shipping, obviously if you are waiting on prepaid you have funds... Use the click and ship... the Usps rates are descent and even if you have to use UPS which is higher than FedEx it saves you during this...
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.