Binding arbitration policy change/statement

RedDawgEsq
Contributor
Contributor

I am very confused about the recent policy change/statement about binding arbitration, particularly this statement:

Unless you opt out: (1) you will only be permitted to pursue claims against PayPal on an individual basis, not as a plaintiff or class member in any class or representative action or proceeding and (2) you will only be permitted to seek relief (including monetary, injunctive, and declaratory relief) on an individual basis.

Shouldn't the word "Unless" be "If"?

Login to Me Too
161 REPLIES 161

parkeb

I am so angered by this. Clearly, the legal department at Paypal has convinced the management of the company that the rights of their consumers should be tossed aside for the good of the company. Further, they chose to make it incredibly inconvenient for anyone to oppose their decision. This has caused me to seriously reconsider how much I really need a Paypal account in the first place. After all, the default payment option, pushed by Paypal with each purchase, is to use a direct deduction from one's bank account. I can do that with a debit card and get a guarantee of a fair transaction from Mastercard or Visa. Why do I need Paypal if I can't trust them to represent me, their consumer, fairly?

I truly believe this issue should get national attention and Paypal should be forced to rescind this appalling decision.

Login to Me Too

hawkesk
Contributor
Contributor

I live in Thailand and have no snail mail to send an "opt out" letter.  What other options do I have?

Login to Me Too

Lelapin
New Community Member

I think that you are misunderstanding what "Snail Mail" means.  "Snail mail" is a English slang for regular "POSTAL MAIL".  Simply write a letter and put it into the Thai postal mail system for delivery to PayPal in the USA.

บริษัท ไปรษณีย์ไทย

Login to Me Too

hawkesk
Contributor
Contributor

I'm an American expat, I know what snail mail is.  The Thai "postal system" has a VERY poor success rate, particularly in international mail.

Login to Me Too

hawkesk
Contributor
Contributor

Since I was notified electronically, I am responding in like kind.  I wish to "Opt OUT."  Now I have a dated electronic record associated with my and ONLY my account.

Login to Me Too

PSB
New Community Member

I spoke with an upper level supervisor about how poor this email is to not give instructions on how to opt out.  He agreed with me and said it should be a "one-stop" email and that hopefully there will be changes. 

Login to Me Too

anita_3
New Community Member

Does anyone else think it strange, and not in a good way, that Paypal can move money in and out of our bank accounts without needing a signature, but in order for us to opt out of giving away our rights, they first of all make it difficult to find out how to even do so, and then they require that we create and mail in a special document requiring our actual signature?

So I don't need to give you my signature to have access to my money, but you need it if I want to opt out of one of your new provisions which happens to be detrimental to me?

Something's not right there.

Seriously thinking about closing my account, there are plenty of other safe ways to send money via the internet these days.

Login to Me Too

GamblinFool
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal must be expecting a big class action lawsuit.  Why else would they create a policy that strips all users of their right to sue collectively?  I bet it has to do with their practice of putting "holds" on people's money without cause.

I just finished writing my Opt-Out Notice to send to PayPal's Litigation Dept. in San Jose.  I find their Agreement To Arbitrate completely unacceptable.

To protect your right to be included in a class action lawsuit, all you need to do is send a letter to PayPal, Inc., Litigation Dept., 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131 stating you do not agree to the new Agreement To Arbitrate.  You need to include your name, address, phone, and email along with your signature.

I don't agree with PayPal's practices, but I respect their right to run their business into the ground if they choose to, and it appears to me that is the choice they have made.

Farewell to the PayPal that once was.  I'm sorry, but PayPal is no longer my "favorite way to get paid."  In fact, I would have to say it has become my LEAST favorite way to get paid.  I only accept PayPal as a last resort when no other option is available.

Login to Me Too

kelloggfan
Contributor
Contributor

In the document - you have to mail in your "opt-out" request.  They can't make it easy with a simple mouse click!  because you get screwed if you don't do it.   NICE ..PAYPAL!

Opt-Out Procedure.

You can choose to reject this Agreement to Arbitrate ("opt out") by mailing us a written opt-out notice ("Opt-Out Notice").  For new PayPal users, the Opt-Out Notice must be postmarked no later than 30 Days after the date you accept the User Agreement for the first time.  If you are already a current PayPal user and previously accepted the User Agreement prior to the introduction of this Agreement to Arbitrate, the Opt-Out Notice must be postmarked no later than December 1, 2012. You must mail the Opt-Out Notice to PayPal, Inc., Attn: Litigation Department, 2211 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95131.

The Opt-Out Notice must state that you do not agree to this Agreement to Arbitrate and must include your name, address, phone number, and the email address(es) used to log in to the PayPal account(s) to which the opt-out applies. You must sign the Opt-Out Notice for it to be effective. This procedure is the only way you can opt out of the Agreement to Arbitrate. If you opt out of the Agreement to Arbitrate, all other parts of the User Agreement, including all other provisions of Section 14 (Disputes with PayPal), will continue to apply.  Opting out of this Agreement to Arbitrate has no effect on any previous, other, or future arbitration agreements that you may have with us.

Login to Me Too

tcdoll
New Community Member

i agree with several of the other posts. Since everything else with Paypal is done electronically ------- why isn't there an electronic way to "Opt Out"? Other than to discourage people from doing so - why are they making this so difficult and time consuming for us?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.