Binding arbitration policy change/statement

RedDawgEsq
Contributor
Contributor

I am very confused about the recent policy change/statement about binding arbitration, particularly this statement:

Unless you opt out: (1) you will only be permitted to pursue claims against PayPal on an individual basis, not as a plaintiff or class member in any class or representative action or proceeding and (2) you will only be permitted to seek relief (including monetary, injunctive, and declaratory relief) on an individual basis.

Shouldn't the word "Unless" be "If"?

Login to Me Too
161 REPLIES 161

Ron_Salma
Contributor
Contributor

I Agree, and in either case there are no instructions for opting out of the change. They make it sound like there is a choice but how do we exercise that choice?

@RedDawgEsq wrote:

I am very confused about the recent policy change/statement about binding arbitration, particularly this statement:

Unless you opt out: (1) you will only be permitted to pursue claims against PayPal on an individual basis, not as a plaintiff or class member in any class or representative action or proceeding and (2) you will only be permitted to seek relief (including monetary, injunctive, and declaratory relief) on an individual basis.

Shouldn't the word "Unless" be "If"?

Login to Me Too

SteveNewJersey
New Community Member

TO OPT OUT:

Send a handwritten one-sentence letter to:

PayPal

2211 N. First Street

San Jose, CA 95131

"Sirs, as per your notice, we Opt Out." 

Sign your name, provide your address, send the letter via US Mail with a 75 cent "Confirmation of Delivery" and you're done!

PayPal has made no provision has been made for electronie opt-out.

Login to Me Too

RedDawgEsq
Contributor
Contributor

This still doesn't answer the original question which was about the correct usage of words in the statement; It's still confusing and still bad grammar. Will someone please admit that and correct it?

Login to Me Too

Gersalv
Contributor
Contributor

The statement is grammatically correct for what they want to say.  "Unless" you opt out you are stuck. 

Login to Me Too

c0ldfusi0n

Emai address must be included as well. 

Login to Me Too

upkerry11
New Community Member

Of course there's no way to electronicaly opt out, that would be too easy. They're banking on you being too lazy or stupid to actually use snail mail Hey Admin Lady, how about an electronic opt-out if you're so customer friendly?

Login to Me Too

JDisbrow
New Community Member

Don't forget to state exactly what you  are opting out of or will will likely end up in the trash.

Login to Me Too

Aubreyg51
Contributor
Contributor

+ 3 (I third that motion).  Assuming the language is even correct, there is no explanation for how to opt out of binding arbitration 9in the agreement0, nor is there any "opt out" language (referenced) anywhere on the website.

Login to Me Too

LuckyDoggie
New Community Member

I agree.  I just spent fifteen minutes looking on the site but can find no way to opt out.  I don't understand either how any one can prvent someone legally from joining class action lawsuits.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.