Did not realize I needed my real name and can't change it. HELP

LaserPewPew
Contributor
Contributor

When I created my account I did not put my real legal name due to not seeing it as necessary.  I used to be able to spend money using this account but now I'm not allowed to since I need to go through a new verification and I need to use my real legal name.  PayPal is not allowing me to change my legal name unless I have a marriage or divorce certificate which is not the reason I am changing my legal name.  Is there any way I can change my legal name without having a certificate? Is it possible for me to just use my government ID without the need for a marriage/divorce certificate?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LaserPewPew

The idea of providing i.d is to prove that the name on your paypal account matches that i.d, if it doesn't then your account is permanently limited.

If you wouldn't use a fake name to open a bank account or take out a mortgage then why would you to open a legal financial paypal account?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LaserPewPew
Contributor
Contributor

I was not originally not asked for much information besides my Name.  I used the account for art commissions and did not wish to have my full name publicly put online to be seen by anyone.   If I was told at the beginning that I would be able to spend my money without my legal name I would not have made this mistake.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LaserPewPew

When you open a legal financial account and it asks for your first and last name then they presume that you will enter your first and last name.

They don't ask you for any name you choose to put into those boxes 'oh' and add a false address and date of birth at the same time as it doesn't matter !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

NIIROM

Sorry but did you manage to solve this problem? I have the same problem too, yes I am dumb for doing this, but I have about $100 on my PayPal that I can not use! I don't know what to do... (same art commissions here, I didn't want people to see my real name)

Login to Me Too

Benjones39
New Community Member
Did you ever get this resolved I did the same thing
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hello Benjones39,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

If you wish to change the name on your PayPal account, you will need to submit a name change request.

You will finds all the details here.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

mbelavy
Contributor
Contributor
Has anyone solved this? I have the same problem and I would appreciate any help.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.