I paid a PayPal invoice which was a scam. How can PayPal decline my claim?

Tom-999
Contributor
Contributor

While logging into my Prime Media service I received a message on my TV that I needed to call a 1-800 number to get authorization to continue.  I called the number and after a few questions they authorized the log in and my Prime Video went on okay.  While talking to me they offered me a 3 year extension to my Prime account at a very good rate.  I didn't want to give financial info over the phone so I asked to pay with PayPal.  In the email I received a PayPal invoice for Prime Media which contained a link to PayPal to pay the invoice.  The link did indeed take me to PayPal where I logged in and paid the invoice.  When my Prime account did not change I called Amazon customer service and was told that this was a new kind of scam which they were just learning about and that the people that interrupted my Prime Video log in on my TV had nothing to do with Prime Video and that I should contact my financial institution.  I filed a claim but received this response from PayPal that "we've determined there was no unauthorized use. Based on our review, we found this transaction is consistent with your PayPal payment history."  The Seller Info on the Prime Media invoice gave a domain name of primemedia.com which is not even a valid domain name.

How could PayPal allow them to invoice me through them and why would they not be responsible?  What could be "consistent" with my PayPal payment history about this?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

structuralfab
New Community Member

Sympathise with you as I bought 2 toolboxes with free shipping via Paypal worth $100  got an invoice from Paypal for $5500US

No confirmation email from the scammer,complained to Paypal they gave me the same answer I am asking them the same question ....

They are fking usless I will  never use them ever and will do what i can to get paypal outlawed

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@structuralfab 

Did you file a dispute for a billing error or item not received?

Did you reach out to the merchant for a part refund of the overpayment?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tom-999 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction....which it was.

Sadly paypal does not foot the bill for all unauthorised transactions if it was you that enabled the scammer to access the funds, albeit very cleverly.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.