Paypal would not let me update my phone number nor close my account

sunnydsnow98
New Community Member

I had an old phone number with Paypal when I first signed up, but then I stopped using that number and the number is no long accessible. I then tried adding my new number and removing the number, but removing the old number required a VERIFICATION CODE SEND TO THE OLD NUMBER! The customer service people informed me that the only way to remove my number, instead of having Paypal remove it for me, would be to have me close my account - in which case I find ridiculous. But since there was no other way, since all operations still go through the old number, so my Paypal was basically useless anyway. I tried closing the account, but then Paypal requires to have my OLD NUMBER RECEIVE A VERIFICATION CODE so they could verify my identity. So in this counterintuitive situation, I got thrown back and forth between the call agents and the messaging agents, who have been incredibly patient with me, but they could not figure out a solution either. 

So now, I'm stuck in this awkward dilemma of trying to remove my number, cannot; trying to close my account, cannot either because it all goes back to my phone number. 

Paypal, this is systematic. Please fix this. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @sunnydsnow98,

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had this experience. A representative over the phone should be able to validate your identity through alternate means and assist with changing your number or closing the account. Please try reaching out again. I'm very sorry that it's necessary to do so. Please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website, then Call us, then call as a guest if you are unable to log in.

I hope this can be resolved quickly!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.