Help with non existent account

Help_me5
Contributor
Contributor

So this might be long winded but basically when I set up my eBay account in 2010 I used my work email as the PayPal account email. I have subsequently left that place of work and set up an additional PayPal account (or changed the linked email- I cannot remember) with a personal email but for some reason the old email still links to some eBay PayPal transactions which has resulted in money going to a PayPal account linked to this email (I have seen screen shots of the confirmed transactions). The problem is I can’t log in to this account and PayPal states there is no account linked to this old work email address so I have no idea where this money has gone- any help/advice?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Help_me5 

I'm reading your post and facepalming and letting out a "Morgan Freeman" sigh. Hehe.

For future reference, it was unnecessary to have to set up a new PayPal account. All you had to do AT THE TIME, was add your personal email address to the account (we can have up to 8 email addresses linked per PP account), confirm it and designate it as the new primary email address of the account and then remove the old email address. Then switch the old email address out with the new one for every place you have used PayPal, even to the point of re-linking PayPal in some instances; perfect example, your eBay account. Do you recall what you did with the account? Did you just abandon it and for how long? And you gave PayPal the transaction IDs (hopefully shown on the screenshots) of those payments to PayPal and they still can't locate the payment? If you haven't provided the transaction IDs, get it from the customer and call PayPal back, otherwise.

Your best bet would be to ask the buyers to report a problem on their payments to get their money back or if it the payment status is marked as unclaimed in their PayPal account to just wait 30 days and the funds will be returned to them. Then send them PayPal invoice from your new account to get payment for the orders.  Update your PayPal email address and unlink it from My eBay > Account Settings > Personal Information

More info: https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/why-are-payments-for-my-ebay-sales-being-sent-to-the-wro...

Also contact eBay customer service and forums, perhaps there's a proper order handling procedure for situations like this.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.