Don't want to add phone number to account, now can't login.

DavidDDavidson
New Community Member

Paypal was always really pushy with asking you to get a phone number associated with an account but at least they let you skip and say not now.

Now I can't even get skip the phone number request to get into my account. I've had the account for years and I don't have a mobile phone I can use nor am I going to be getting one soon. Is there any way around this?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

seig
Contributor
Contributor

I'm confused. None of my credit cards was ever linked to a mobile and none has ever asked me if I have a mobile or even remotely if I want to share my number with them. Reasonable folks there.

Login to Me Too

seig
Contributor
Contributor

My Mastercard was renewed automatically a few months ago. You know, it comes in the mail. Nowdays you don't even need to call them back to activate it, or punch in that long number and whatnot. It is simply activated as you used it first time. Absolutely nobody asked me for any kind of phone number. The Visa will expire sometime in the next 2 years, I have no reason to believe they'll behave any different. As for Amex... they're begging me to use it more :). As for the minor 'store cards'... they're just happy if you use it every 2 years or so. I don't even know if they have the old or the new landline number on file.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@seig 

If you bothered to actually read the links you will see that more and more banks and credit card companies are introducing this policy.

The fact that yours have not .........yet, in your country is neither here nor there, it will come. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

seig
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I read the first, no need to rinse and repeat. You don't know how it works apparently. If  a credit card company ever pressures you to do something you don't want (like pay for a cell phone you don't want or need) you simply go to your bank and tell them "Give me a proper credit card or I'll move my mortgage and pay check deposits elsewhere". Works like magic. I even got sensible rate cuts on my mortgage using this 'negotiation technique'. Don't forget for the future, whether a bank, a credit card company or even Paypal: the thing they hate is not having your money... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.