Don't want to add phone number to account, now can't login.

DavidDDavidson
New Community Member

Paypal was always really pushy with asking you to get a phone number associated with an account but at least they let you skip and say not now.

Now I can't even get skip the phone number request to get into my account. I've had the account for years and I don't have a mobile phone I can use nor am I going to be getting one soon. Is there any way around this?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DavidDDavidson 

Sadly not, new security requirements.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

seig
Contributor
Contributor

I'm with you on this one. I can't even access the info that I have about vendors and transactions, cancel automatic payments, track the last 2 due pending shipments etc. I find that locking people out of their own accounts is downright criminal and discriminatory. I do not own a cell phone as far as Paypal is concerned and it has been like that for almost 15 years (with absolutely no issues). Shame is on them.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@seig 

Policies change with companies, also they didn't lock you out as there has been a message on all paypal accounts to make sure you have a mobile phone linked ready for this new policy for months, that is if you don't have an up to date mobile phone linked anyway to legal financial accounts.

So if you don't have a phone or did not want to get one (didn't realise anyone didn't have one in this day and age !!!...lol) you had the option to close your account before the new requirements came in.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

seig
Contributor
Contributor

They never said explicitly that I will be locked out of my own account if I don't have a cell phone. They can change whatever they like but the fact is that right now they are robbing me of my own money. This is downright criminal, they have absolutely no right to do so. They must provide an alternate way to log in for all existing customers. I'm going to the bank to see what can be done from that end. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@seig 

Yep they did, the message stated you needed to check / update any mobile phone on your account or you would not be able to complete the log in process in the future.

So you logged yourself out of your own account by not doing what they told you to do on their site. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

seig
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, they didn't. They never send me an explicit date - moment in time- when this might happen and I never signed anywhere for that.

Plus I don't log in that often to notice changes. I had this dialog box saying to add a cell phone but I had the option not to do it. I am not legally bind to buy a cell phone in order to access my own existing account. Unless they send me one for free and pay all those fancy data plans they have...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@seig 

If it was on everyone elses account then it was on yours.

Might be your account but its on paypals site and they make the rules.

No your are not legally bound as long as you are happy not to be able to log into your account in the future that is.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

seig
Contributor
Contributor

What you imply is that they decided to kick out all people that up to now don't have a mobile or didn't want to give away their cell phone number (for privacy reasons or whatever). Well, that it is plain silly. The 3% stays in  my pocket and I can't be happier. Most sites have several payment options and are secure enough these days so I'll just use the credit cards (now I have all major accepted cards, 15 years ago when I started using paypal I didn't - one of the reasons I got it).

Since I can't log in I can't close it so the funny part is that they'll continue to manage an account that ... just sits there.

I just changed my Netflix payment method so next month they won't see my 33 cents (that a blow 🙂 he, he).

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@seig 

Credit cards are fine but when you reply a lot of them now require, guess what, a mobile phone number.

Luckily you may be ok if you have already got old card as its a new policy with some.

I had to provide a mobile phone number before I could use my banks online app.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.