Japan: guest checkout possible?

Oranda
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all,

Although I have set the "Paypal Account Optional" to ON within my PP settings (https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-accept-credit-cards-with-express-checkout-using...), my Japanese customers still don't see the Guest checkout button and therefore MUST create an account. This is more or less a showstopper to my business: Japanese are not familiar with e-payment at all (80% of payments in Japan are in cash..) and account creation seems to scare them away. My contact in Japan learned from PP Japan that Guest checkout option is not available in Japan? Link above suggests otherwise. Especially in Japan this feature is much wanted! Can anybody please elaborate on this?

Thnx allready

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Cristina

Hi Oranda,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

I certainly understand your concern. However, please be informed this service limitation is because of the laws and financial regulations of each country. Before we begin to offer certain services in various countries, we must be sure that we are fully compliant with local and international financial laws to avoid difficulties in the future with our services. Rest assured that we’re constantly working to offer more services in all countries that use PayPal.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

aunkai
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Cristina, does this "restriction on services" apply only to to Express Checkout? Is there a timeline for solving this issue?

In the meantime, can I pay for Paypal Website Payments Pro here in Japan and process credit cards for Japanese users without requiring them to open a Paypal account at checkout?

Or is that also impossible at present?

Login to Me Too

aunkai
Contributor
Contributor
Bah, brain fart... remembered too late Paypal Website Payments Pro is not even offered in Japan. So, there is viable no credit card processing possible in Japan via Paypal at the moment? (forcing users to create a Paypal account at the same time is not "viable", since most customers will simply not bother further).
Login to Me Too

Oranda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Cristina,

Thanks for your reply. I am still suffereing from poor customer response to PP checkout on my website. Can you please give an estimation of time when PP express checkout will be available in Japan? This website suggests (at bottom) functionality is already available?

https://www.chargebee.com/resources/tools/compare-payment-gateway-providers/japan/#/

Thanks you, Paul

Login to Me Too

Oranda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Would like to add this as an example: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/guide/help/payment/paypal

It literally sates: "CDJapan supports PayPal Express Checkout, allowing people to order without creating an account. Add items to shopping cart and click on the "Check out with PayPal" button to complete your order in a few easy steps." CD Japan has it's address in Tokyo, Japan. It doesn't seem to exclude Japanese customers from Express checkout option? So I would like to ask: am I missing something?

Thank you again, Paul

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.