ebay buyer filed "unauthorized access" via paypal; seller forced to refund

mustseethis
Contributor
Contributor

I use ebay to make purchases occasionally.  But every so often I sell something.

In this particular case, I bought a retail game console (not on ebay) that came with a few digital codes for games that I already own or didn't appeal to me.  So i figured to sell them to recoup some of the console cost.

I posted an ebay listing for one of these digital game codes with the immediate delivery via Ebay message.  The item sold for average going price and I ebay messaged the buyer the redemption code.

Almost three month later, i get a paypal notice that the transaction is being disputed by the buyer for "unauthorized access".  I did provide all the information that i had to the papal resolution center including the ebay listing URL and PDF upload of the ebay message.

The case was favored for the buyer and i was forced to refund the transaction.

I really am at a loss for words.  Is there any recourse for me?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @mustseethis,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem with the buyer, I understand how frustrating that can be. You can find more information about Seller Protection here. I hope this helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

mustseethis
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your response. The current seller protection clause doesn't address anything digital, ie when there's nothing to physically ship. So if I were to read between the lines in this digital age of on-demand services/content, there is no seller protection for anything that is not physically shipped.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.