Insurance for sellers

GrimWeanoc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

so I'm about to sell an instrument from Vienna to the UK. It would be a private sale and the buyer told me to do it through paypal. I've read about the insurances and so, but still not 100% clear. 

I send the package through a company...how does paypal know that the package has been shipped to the adress? 
If I understood correctly I wont get paid until they get a verification about the shipment. But how do they get that?

My other problem what if the buyer claims, that the instrument is damaged or it's not what he wanted? He keeps the instrument and he gets back the money and I stay without anything in my hands? 

Thank you in advice

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GrimWeanoc 

Be VERY careful as this may be a scam if they are telling you that you won't get paid until you provide shipping.

You never send an item until the funds are SHOWING in your paypal account balance and in your paypal account transaction history.

If the funds are pending under the new seller hold then they would still SHOW in your paypal balance but have pending by it.

Do not be fooled by scam emails telling you that you won't get paid until you email paypal a shipping tracking number.

Firstly paypal does not tell you to send an item trackable HOWEVER it is advisable as if the buyer files a dispute for non receipt of item then the only way paypal can tell if they received it or not is by you providing trackable proof of delivery. Also if you are subject to the new seller hold then funds are normally released when tracking shows delivery of the item to the buyer + 1 day. If you choose not to send trackable then funds are released at 21 days IF you are subject to the new seller hold and no disputes are raised by the buyer.

If the item is lost or damaged then the onus is on you to refund the buyer and claim from any insurance that you chose to take out.

If the buyer files a dispute for item received but not as described then normally if he wins that dispute paypal will tell him to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery before you have to refund. BUT some scammers will switch items and you don't get back the one that you sent.

So you need to read up on paypals seller protection policy so you can see what coverage you do or do not have and then risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GrimWeanoc 

Be VERY careful as this may be a scam if they are telling you that you won't get paid until you provide shipping.

You never send an item until the funds are SHOWING in your paypal account balance and in your paypal account transaction history.

If the funds are pending under the new seller hold then they would still SHOW in your paypal balance but have pending by it.

Do not be fooled by scam emails telling you that you won't get paid until you email paypal a shipping tracking number.

Firstly paypal does not tell you to send an item trackable HOWEVER it is advisable as if the buyer files a dispute for non receipt of item then the only way paypal can tell if they received it or not is by you providing trackable proof of delivery. Also if you are subject to the new seller hold then funds are normally released when tracking shows delivery of the item to the buyer + 1 day. If you choose not to send trackable then funds are released at 21 days IF you are subject to the new seller hold and no disputes are raised by the buyer.

If the item is lost or damaged then the onus is on you to refund the buyer and claim from any insurance that you chose to take out.

If the buyer files a dispute for item received but not as described then normally if he wins that dispute paypal will tell him to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery before you have to refund. BUT some scammers will switch items and you don't get back the one that you sent.

So you need to read up on paypals seller protection policy so you can see what coverage you do or do not have and then risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GrimWeanoc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you it was a big help!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.