As a seller, I don't feel protected

londongal2019
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, I recently sold a big ticket item via ebay and paypal was used for the exchange of money. The buyer kept insisting they wanted to pay cash in person (they sounded dodgy) and I said no, I think it is better we do it via ebay/paypal. They collected the item and literally 1 hour later have said the item is significantly not as described which is not true. It is a garden shed and the measurements could vary - it even says that on the item when I sold it. But they are looking at the manual instructions and saying the item is smaller that described. They haven't even built the shed. Now they have opened a dispute with Paypal and escalated it. I have given Paypal my reasoning and all the evidence but they have ruled in favour of the buyer and saying the buyer needs to send the item back and we refund them. The item was sealed when I sold it but now it is opened and they have marked up the manuals etc. It will be hard to re sell. Seems unfair that Paypal are ruling in their favour even though they have no real evidence that the item is significantly different. Also it is interesting the buyer went through papal instead of ebay as that is where I sold the item. Anyone had this experience? I have used Paypal to buy and sell so much but now I feel hesitant to use them because I do not feel protected as a seller! Also, I am afraid they will not even return the item and Paypal will ask me to refund them!

Thanks

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@londongal2019 

Sellers are generally not protected from Significantly Not As Described claims unless it is obviously a buyer's remorse reason. Otherwise, you are to accept a return and refund the customer upon receipt of return. If it lets you appeal at the Resolution Center (or call customer service), you can appeal the decision.

Read the seller protection program terms. It literally says sellers are not protected from SNADs, only Item Not Received (INR) or Unauthorized Payment with sufficient proof of delivery. 

PayPal Seller Protection is not a guarantee, warranty or insurance and has its limitations.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

londongal2019
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I read that but I feel that the item is not significantly different from what it was described! Paypal has accepted their reasoning with no real evidence. Seems really unfair. I am unable to do anything from the resolution site. Perhaps will call customer service soon!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@londongal2019 

With disputes its always one persons word against the others as paypal do not ever see the item in question.

However why would you turn down CASH IN HAND and accept paypal paying a fee and leaving you open to a dispute?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

londongal2019
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah I know so stupid of me but I thought it was best to follow protocol! Didnt know Paypal doesnt protect its sellers as well as they do their buyers. But good to know for next time!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.