fraudulent buyers

disappointed21
Contributor
Contributor

had someone purchase an item in march.  waited till july to file an unauthorized user claim.  paypal gave the money back and charged me an additional chargeback fee.  will not be selling anything else and will not take the risk of this happening again.  As a seller there is no way of protecting yourself against fraudulent buyers.  and paypal is not supporting the individual sellers in any way, when paypal is the one who should be responsible for there own security.  The sellers have no way of knowing whether someone is authorized or not, that would be the responsibility of paypal, and they aren't doing that.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@disappointed21

A chargeback is done directly via the buyers credit card company and is not a paypal dispute as such.

So the card company make any decisions and if they find in favour of their client then you have to refund + they charge you the cards 'processing fee'  Smiley Sad

However if you met ALL the requirements of Paypal seller protection then you should have been reimbursed by Paypal, so your best bet is to go and read up to see where you missed out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

disappointed21
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve had several conversation with PayPal with no luck.  They said all I could do was ask for the item back and of course with no luck.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@disappointed21

What country are you in? If UK then you may have recourse in the small claims court? Or you may have something similar in your country.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

disappointed21
Contributor
Contributor

I’m in US its $50:00 not worth the misery.  Just very **bleep** at PayPal for something I have absolutely no control over they should take responsibility for the security of their accounts 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@disappointed21

But its nothing to do with account security if a buyer files a chargeback via their card issuer?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

disappointed21
Contributor
Contributor

The buyer said it was an unauthorized user of his account.  Which sounds like a PayPal issue for security on a unauthorized user.  Which I have no control over.   Have had no luck with conversations with PayPal for a solution other then I am out the money and item.    Don’t understand why PayPal is taking no responsibility for the situation. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@disappointed21

If he filed an unauthorised transaction as a Paypal dispute then you would not have been charged a fee.

If he filed a chargeback citing the transaction was not authorised by him and its done via a credit card then there is a fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

disappointed21
Contributor
Contributor

How can you be responsible for something you have no control over like an unauthorized user of a PayPal acct.  shouldn’t that be PayPals responsibility.   As a seller you have no way of knowing or any way of protecting yourself from dishonest people. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@disappointed21

Thats why paypal offer you 'seller protection' just for that sort of dispute.

However you have to make sure you qualify for that protection by selling and making sure you are covered per transaction.

What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal seller protection?

You must meet all of these requirements to be covered:

1. The transaction is not ineligible under section 11.10.
  2. The transaction must be marked by PayPal as eligible or partially eligible for PayPal seller protection on your Account “Transaction Details” page. If it is marked eligible, protection for both Unauthorised Payments and Item Not Received will apply. If it is marked partially eligible, protection for only Item Not Received will apply.
  3. For tangible items, post the item to the shipping address on the “Transaction Details” page. If the item is delivered in person or if the Payment Recipient posts the item to a different address (for example, if the buyer asks that you send to another address on the basis that it is a “work address” or a “gift” address) then you will not be eligible for re-imbursement under the terms of the programme.

You may access the “Transactions Details” page by logging into your PayPal Account, selecting “History” and then selecting “Details” for the transaction.

1. You must follow the delivery requirements described below.
  2. You must accept a single payment from one PayPal Account for the purchase.
  3. You must respond to PayPal’s requests for documentation and other information that is reasonably required by PayPal to investigate the matter in a timely manner.
  4. Your primary residence, as listed in your PayPal Account, must be in a Relevant Country.
  5. Your eligibility is not otherwise suspended.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.