fake transaction

Anna-M
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning, yesterday I tried to sell something on gumtree. One man contact me that he wants to buy my item. He asked me to send him email, not contact via gumtree website. I did it and he wrote that because his working offshore it's hard for him to oorganise delivery- it will be for soemone abroad. He will make a payment via paypal. I gave to him my email address (connected ith Paypal). Tis morning I recevied an email -It was looking similar to emails from Paypal but in brackets wasn't paypal's email address but this person's email. Also transaction was complite in 98%. This guy asked me to send some part of money he sent to me to delivery company because then they will arrange collection. Before they will receive payment they cannot do it. I didn't get any amount from him and I didn't send any money to Account which he provide in his email. Should I report it to Police? of course I will contact Paypal Customer Service. What do you think?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Anna-M,

I'm sorry to hear that you were targeted by a fraudster. I'm glad that you were too smart to fall for it! I would suggest forwarding the email to spoof@paypal.com. PayPal has a team of people who work to shut down the fraudsters any way that they can.

Please continue to be vigilant. The best protection that you can have against this type of thing is to be aware and informed! Here's a little more information about spotting and reporting suspicious emails and websites.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.