Paypal forcing refund after 5 months / High Value Electronics

4macpro
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try to make this to the point. 

February 2019 / Buyer purchased 1st Mac mini / Near 30 days SNAD / Accept return / Seller paid for shipping 

Buyer Quote:  "Was able to switch the computer only once, tried to update firmware - did not worked, after several attends to reboot, computer does not start at all."

There was no Firmware update for this system and I assume he meant it failed during a software update.  Buyer seems to have an English language barrier and I could not get any response at my attempts to diagnose / solve computer issue.  

Seller paid return / transaction closed / Computer had no issues when returned 

Buyer wanted different model for replacement so purchased another Mac mini.

March 25th 2019 2nd Mac mini purchase.  

August 23rd 2019 opens PayPal dispute.

Buyer Quote:  "Item was purchased and never opened until now.  Item did not switched on for two days. On the 3rd day it reacted by turning on, but was updating for over 24 hours and never ended update process! There are some issues with this item, its not working properly. I would like to get a full refund."

Wrote to PayPal:  We have 30 day free return policy.  Item has 1-year warranty.  We can replace, repair, diagnose, service, and support this sale 100% and for free, but we cannot accept a return at 152 days after purchase.  

Paypal's Answer:  "We've been reviewing a case your buyer filed against you and decided the best course of action is to have them return your merchandise."

My main issue:  There is nothing wrong with the computer at all.  This buyer has learned the return loophole and is using these systems for the full return period (first one 30 days and second one 5 months).  Then he pulls the plug during an update to fake damage to the system.  

On computer system returns B&H or Adorama offer no returns once opened / Amazon charges 15% / Apple accepts returns for 14-days MAX

Why on Earth am I expected to offer Free Full Refund Returns on a $2k computer after 152 days?  The market value for this has dropped $400, the warranty period is half expired, and this can only ever be resold as used.  I'm not a seller trying to dodge responsibility.  The only appropriate course of action is free warranty service at 152 days after purchase.  

Sent buyer a pre-paid shipping label & spoke in nice welcoming tones because the only hope I have in this is that the buyer has a shred of decency and at least returns the system.   *IF* the buyer returns the system I'll only have pay $400-$500 for him to have had his own personal computer to use for 5 months versus being out nearly $2k in cash and a $2k computer when PayPal refunds without a return.  

This is still an open case with PayPal pending the return of the Mac mini.  Any ideas? (sent pre-paid label already & was courteous in responses).  

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

4macpro
Contributor
Contributor

The buyer's "dispute" is based on a falsehood and PayPal has no system in place to conduct an actual "review" of the facts of the case.  

Buyer never contacted us before opening dispute / filing claim.  We have reached out to them offering free warranty service and return label with no response.  Buyer is abusing the system.  

Pre-paid label sent / cooperating with Paypal's corrupt system

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@4macpro 

Buyers have up to 180 days to open a dispute so payment can be reversed within that time. In some instances, it can be longer than that if a buyer files a credit card chargeback. Your best bet is to follow PayPal's advice to get your item back. If you refuse you may very well lose the dispute and the buyer keeps the item and get a refund.

I take it that the dispute has been escalated to PayPal since they are offering a resolution. Long story short...PayPal do not deal in warranties. That has to be offered by you to the buyer in agreement and cooperation before or without PayPal getting involved in resolving the matter with both parties.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

4macpro
Contributor
Contributor

The buyer's "dispute" is based on a falsehood and PayPal has no system in place to conduct an actual "review" of the facts of the case.  

Buyer never contacted us before opening dispute / filing claim.  We have reached out to them offering free warranty service and return label with no response.  Buyer is abusing the system.  

Pre-paid label sent / cooperating with Paypal's corrupt system

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.