ebay/Paypal STILL doesn't allow Paypal credit payment method to

customerX99
Contributor
Contributor

As 22yr Paypal customer I chose to apply for Paypal Credit and received a sizeable credit line.  I did that so I could specifically manage large purchases to pay over time with the security of Paypal transactions.  I changed my preferred payment method to PayPal credit (I can always make exceptions for smaller purchases and change on Paypal to my bank card before completing transaction).  But when making purchases on ebay, ebay DETERMINES MY PAYMENT METHOD as "automatic payment".  Okay so while Paypal automatic payment feature allows changing payment method for individual sellers, for ebay the option does not offer Paypal credit as a payment method.  Researching this I find this problem has existed for well over 9 yrs and throughout that span of time customer like me are complaining about the same issue.  What am I missing?  Paypal customer service is worthless - the circular automated assistant pukes out FAQ answers and leaving messages Paypal ends up with never a response.  Perhaps it time to leave Paypal in the dust.  They are not responsive to customers.  

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@customerX99 

Sounds like an Ebay problem to me so why are you blaming Paypal?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

customerX99
Contributor
Contributor

eBay passes the buck to Paypal.  All offers and auto payments on ebay do not offer changing payment method.  Paypal states its eBay.  Paypal suggests changing payment method for eBay in Auto Payments but that option does not exist.  It's a circular train wreck between the two.  And, it hasn't changed since 2015 when the first complaints were made on this forum.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@customerX99 

The sellers on Ebay decide which payment options they are going to accept and they no longer have to accept Paypal if they don't wish to.

Also you don't pay the seller when you use Ebay, you pay Ebay and Ebay sends the funds to the seller via bank transfer with their 'managed payments' scheme. So using Paypal may no longer be an option apart from businesses or business sellers?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

customerX99
Contributor
Contributor

You're missing the point.  The only one capable of determining WHICH method is used is ME.  eBay has various payment methods approved which includes PayPal.  Once I make a Paypal payment, it should make NO difference to eBay whether I choose ACH pmt from my bank account, bank credit card or PayPal Credit.  It has nothing to do with sellers getting paid it's about transaction payments and HOW the customer chooses to pay.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@customerX99 

You are missing the point in that paypal credit is not offered all the time, it depends on the merchant / the merchants location and the type of item sold. Also if its an offer or buy it now then paypal credit is often not offered, its only offered sometimes in their checkout flow.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

customerX99
Contributor
Contributor

Please you are grossly ill-informed.  You do not know what you're talking about.   Ebay is a shopping platform bringing buyers and sellers together.  eBay payment system merely connects to buyer's payment processors.  At that point eBay is out of the picture until receiving payment from selected processor.  What happens between Buyers and their payment processor does not involve eBay nor is eBay aware of it.  Further eBay has no input to which payment methods the processor offers the Buyer.  eBay merely receives the payment from the payment processor and then settles payments with sellers based on their arrangement with eBay.  If you don't understand this, please refrain from responding to my original post.

Login to Me Too

Planetary
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing just happened to me.  I did a Buy It Now purchase from an eBay seller which I have done numerous times in the past and when going to confirm and complete my purchase which brings up my Paypal account, it defaulted to my funds in Paypal and my linked band account despite me having and confirming that Paypal 6 month Credit is my preferred way to pay. What's most egregious is that I didn't know this transaction nicked my PP funds and bank account until after the purchase.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.