How do I set up a PP account for a high school reunion committee?

BrendaJN
Contributor
Contributor

I'm part of a high school reunion committee.  We're trying to set up a PayPal account to accept payments to an upcoming reunion.  I'm struggling to do this, as we're not really a business and not a person. We do have a TIN, and email address and a bank account.  Has anyone else done this and can direct me.  Should I set up a personal or business PP account? Help.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @BrendaJN,

Welcome to our Community Help Forum and thanks for posting!

I understand your confusion about setting up a PayPal account to receive payments. All PayPal accounts allows you to send and receive payments. Personal accounts are for the individuals who shop and pay online, or wish to send or receive personal payments. Also for casual sellers or non-businesses who wish to get paid online, and who also make online purchases. Business accounts are for the merchants who operate under company/group name. If you're not operating under a business, you can go ahead and sign up for personal account to receive payments.

I hope this information helps you,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

BrendaJN
Contributor
Contributor

Bindu,

Thank you for your clear reply.  I appreciate your assistance. Here is a further question. I already have my own personal PayPal account.  Am I still able to set up an additional personal PayPal account for our reunion group using my address & phone number, but in the name of our group? We would need to connect the reunion PayPal account to the reunion bank account.  Thank you in advance for your clarification.

Brenda

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hey @BrendaJN,

You are always welcome! You can have one Personal account and one Business account. You must register each account with a unique email address. Multiple personal accounts are not allowed in PayPal. You can accept the payments with your personal account as there is no need to for a new account to accept payments. 

Good luck,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

BrendaJN
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bindu,  thank you again for your reply.  I would not be able to accept any payments for the reunion into my personal PayPal account, as my personal account is in my name and is linked to my personal bank account.  The payments need to go into the bank account for the reunion group.

I am thinking this plan might work:  If I close my existing personal PayPal account, could  I open a new "personal" account in the name of the reunion  group, with the group's email and bank account? I understand I would need to use my address and cell number.   Once our event is over and we are done receiving payments, IF I wanted to, I could close the reunion personal account and set up a new personal account for myself.

Does this all comply with the PayPal rules?  I want to make sure there would be no problem having a personal account in the name of our group (Lodi High Class of 68).  Please let me know if this is doable.  Again, thank you for your assistance.

Brenda

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

HI @BrendaJN

Welcome back! That's a great question. A personal account cannot be opened with a business or organization name. In fact, both personal and business accounts need to be registered under a single person's first and last name. Here's a bit more info on the Difference between Personal and Business accounts if you need it. 

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.