How do I disable WhatsApp authentication

temp20220705a
Contributor
Contributor
Tldr: how do I disable authentication via WhatsApp? I recently received 2fa code via WhatsApp, I prefer not to use Facebook servers for processing financial information, ideally I'd like nothing to do with Facebook. I can't seem to find a setting to disable WhatsApp 2fa. I only see the "send SMS" option. Just send a text via normal services. Paypal site/applications have seriously gone downhill. This change has made me consider abandoning PayPal. Built in approval has now been integrated in many banking applications, so I can't see any reason to keep using PayPal. If you have a PayPal app, why bother integrating with WhatsApp, just securely send stuff via the terrible app.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@temp20220705a 

1. Open WhatsApp Settings.
  2. Tap Account > Two-step verification Disable > Disable.

On PayPal, I would look at: Settings > Data & Privacy > Permissions you’ve given

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

temp20220705a
Contributor
Contributor
1. I don't want to disable two step auth in my WhatsApp, how would that affect PayPal? 2. I never provided permission for PayPal to send me messages via WhatsApp 3. There are no special permissions in data & privacy relating to whatsapp
Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hi @temp20220705a

Thank you for your post! 

I understand you would like more information on 2FA via Whatsapp as part of (SCA) Strong Customer Authentication

Thank you @sharpiemarker for the steps on how to disable this 🙂 

We have implemented Whatsapp messaging as part of SCA. This is just like receiving a text message. However, receiving a text message is still an option if you do not wish to do this via Whatsapp! For further information, see: What are the Payment Services Directives and Strong Customer Authentication? (paypal.com) 

If you would like to review our Privacy Policy, you can select 'Privacy' at the bottom of any PayPal Webpage. 

Have a nice day! 

Rebecca. 

Login to Me Too

chriswkiwi
New Community Member

Hello Rebecca!

I have recently created a new account and enabled 2FA to use with my authenticator app. I very much prefer this to using SMS or Whatsapp with financial transactions. However for some reason every time I log in I am also must authenticate via Whatsapp and I can’t find a way to turn it off. To be clear, I log in with a password, and then I authenticate using the code from my app, and then I must authenticate using Whatsapp. I guess 3FA is better than 2FA but it is a bit too much! I read the FAQ but I couldn’t understand from reading this why Whatsapp or SMS was necessary if you are using an authenticator app. Can you help?

Cheers, Chris W..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.