Unable to close my account!

Eagle44
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am unable to close my account and it's really **bleep** me off about how PayPal blocks your access to the account as well as to delete it after you give them your ID. My PayPal that was registered in the UK with a UK phone number got a limitation due to apparently suspicious activity in November and they were asking for an ID to remove the limitation. In December, I explained them that why I require a UK account to avoid chargebacks and use friends & family option in deals that is out of PayPal's control. I also told them that if they still need the ID, I can upload my Indian ID if it would work. One of their chat assistant said yes and so I did the same. Few days later i get to know that I won't be able to use my PayPal anymore. That's frustrating part #1. Now comes the frustrating part #2, I am UNABLE to close my account. When I click on Close Account, it says there is a problem and it links me to the Contact Us Page. At the contact us page, it keeps repeating the same thing that all our agents are offline, bla bla bla and they never return on the mentioned time next day. So technically I am locked out of my own account unable to delete it, nor can I contact PayPal to do it. I seriously need help, I am highly **bleep** off is this is how PayPal functions!

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eagle44 

Paypal is country specific so if you have a UK paypal account you have to live in the UK and add UK information to that account.

Its against paypal rules to use another countries paypal account to try and bypass limitations in your own countries account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Eagle44
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I got to know that after the limitation. But atleast allow me to close my account! I can't even do that.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eagle44 

As you can't verify it then sadly you can't close it.

It would be permanently limited.  😪

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Eagle44
Contributor
Contributor
That's not how it should be! They don't have any right to keep my documents in their record for no reason when I am unable to use my PayPal account. What if I want to use the email/phone number for a different account that I can use?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eagle44 

To be honest If you don't break rules then there would be no problem would there?

Also if you have a permanent ban then the ban is on you and not just that account, you would need to ask customer services if they will allow you to open another account, that is not guaranteed as you have already broken their rules once.   

Any account that is subject to a permanent ban as its illegally opened would be permanently limited to stop you removing anything from it so you can't use them on another paypal account as they have been used on the illegal one. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Eagle44
Contributor
Contributor
I understand that what PayPal may have done is correct, but what about the person on the support chat who told me it will work if I upload my ID? That's highly misleading and fraudulent. Why do you need my ID to limit the account? Or for that matter i could have simply closed my account if they told me my ID won't work in the UK account.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eagle44 

They would ask for i.d. to confirm you lived in the UK as you had a UK paypal account, when you could not provide that i.d. sadly you were limited.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Eagle44
Contributor
Contributor
I already said that I specifically told them that I don't live in the UK and why I made a UK PayPal account. They agreed that my Indian ID would work with the UK account which is the reason I sent them my ID. I hope you understand
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eagle44 

An Indian i.d would only work if you lived in India, OR if you had Indian i.d but proved you had a residence in the UK.

You can't provide i.d from another country to verify a country specific paypal account.

https://www.paypal.com/gi/smarthelp/article/can-i-change-my-paypal-address-to-another-country-faq143...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.