“This type of phone number isn’t supported”

Bcrow1911
Contributor
Contributor

I suppose noone has had this solved...I can not find a single thing in resolution. I need to have this issues solved. I'm going to loose my job because I cannot access my account to get gas!!! To even go to work!!!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

jkronos
Contributor
Contributor

Still as of OCT 2022 this issue was happening to me, I tried everything that was shared here but nothing worked.

I gave up and started a CHAT with an agent but before that the PayPal bot asked me a few questions and next thing I know the bot is asking me for the bank routing and checking #, 1 minute later it was done! Am still waiting for the 2 small deposits confirmation but if you find yourself stuck in the same process of adding your phone to get the verification code, just start a chat with the bot and try to add you checking account that way.

Login to Me Too

zlloyd1
Contributor
Contributor

I have also noticed recently that logging into my PayPal account has become an excersise in fighting security bots.
For the last couple of weeks, every time I try to log into my account I enter my login name, then it asks me to
enter a one time code to continue. Underneath this there is the option to try another way, which has the
option to login using password. I always choose this option as it was alwayts the way you logged in before
and I did not setup a change, but I guess PayPal just randomly changes its account logins without any warning.
I could deal with that, as it is a simple enough workaround, but what is getting me is that after entering my
username / Email, and my unique password, this is where the fun begins.
Here I thought, stupid me, that a password was proof it was you enough, but apparently, the username & password
combination just lets you progress to the security robot, who then makes you jump through 30 miles of flaming hoops
to prove to it that you are you. The one that I am posting here about is the stupid 'sent a security code to your phone,
please enter code to continue'.
The problem I have with this is that it has an old number, from an old phone that I no longer have access to, and
provides no means to update to a new number to complete the challenge. Your only option is to try and add a new number,
which cannot be done because the stupid robot is ignorant, and cannot accept 'That type of number'.
Truthfully I cannot understand what this error means, what is 'That type of number' exactly??

It is the same as any o0ther number I have ever used without issue, a moble number on my smartphone, but now it seems that the PayPal people, in their endless push to remove themselves from the process of dealing with accounts, has decided to leave everything up to buggy, poorly designed automated bots.

WHAT IS GOING ON PAYPAL??

Login to Me Too

zlloyd1
Contributor
Contributor

Alright so update I guess....

I ended up calling PayPal about this ignorance, and was told, in very broken English, that even though I have added my new number to my account that it may take several days before it is considered 'Trusted' by the system. As such, the only thing the lady could offer me was to reset my password, which is just ridiculous, as it has NOTHING to do with the problem.

I am still very confused by all of this, and cannot understand what is supposed to happen over the course of the next 'several days' that will make my new number trustworthy, and I am assuming this to be just another 'go away you bother me' tactic used by the call center to allow agents to pretend to offer support, while providing no real answers. 

In any case, this seems to be a completely unfixable issue with PayPal's login procedure, that nobody, including their so called 'Support Agents' have any clue on how to correct. 

Sorry guys, maybe find an alternative to PayPal, or just accept that you will not be allowed to change your account information, without jumping through MILES of flaming hoops!!

Login to Me Too

jkronos
Contributor
Contributor

It worked!

So if you are having this problem, try to add your bank account via the BOT chat and you won't need to deal with the phone # verification. 

The small deposits came in the next day and I was able to confirm the account, hope this help anyone else who is still having the same problem adding a number to verify their account when setting up the bank account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.