Name Change, death of spouse, account hold

MLG64
New Community Member

I have had my paypal account with no issues for 20 years.  It was a shared account with my husband who died 13 years ago and I continued using it for the last 13 years after his death.  All the information in the account (except for the paypal name) is mine - the SSN, the bank account info, credit card info, address , phone numbers - all mine and nothing has changed in the last 13 years and no problems.  PAYPAL just froze the account a few months ago and now is telling me I have to start a new account.  I will lose all my transaction information, my 20 plus years of history.  Why?!?  If it is for security and they are just now figuring out after 20 plus years of use that all the financial info does not match up with a name on the account when it was created, then that is scary!  If not, then why do I have to start over?  What a hassle.  I am very disappointed with PAYPAL.  Plus I was on hold on three separate occasions for over an hour each time.  Horrible.  If anyone has had a similar experience regarding account name change and a better solution, please let me know.  Or if I should use some other payment platform if I have to start over.  Thank you 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MLG64 

If you want to keep account history/data, download an Activity Download report.

Note: Users can’t go back further than 7 years in account history. If you want older records, ask PayPal to dig up the rest in their archives if they even still have them.

Settings > Statements and Taxes > See More Reports > Activity Download

Open a new account: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/account-selection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.