Charity verification

decomplexity
Contributor
Contributor

I am Chairman of  UK registered small charity that has a had a non-profit PayPal account for several years. 

I recently received an (apparently genuine) email from PayPal suggesting that I "Get a lower rate by confirming your charity status" and giving me a "Confirm your charity status now" link.

This takes me to a PayPal logon page and thence to a Charity page showing several Business Setup steps. When I select the 'Charity status' step it takes me to the Lift Account limit page!

Something somewhere is amiss...

Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

hwf
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have an answer but got some satisfaction from knowing that someone else had the same problem as me. I found the set up pages confusing, just as you did. If you ever do get an answer I'd be grateful if you'd pass it on.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member! 

When selecting the Business Type please select "Non- Profit", you will be asked to fill in a Category and Subcategory best relating to the Charity Organisation you have.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

stepbystep
Contributor
Contributor
Siobhan - Your reply to this does not address the problem. There are several threads here and it seems many Charities are not getting the better rates. Could you please look into how a Charity can get these rates. If you click on the link you just get the "remove limits" page and then it takes you to irrelevant business information. It is extremely frustrating that Paypal don't even answer emails other than with generic referrals to the help pages.
Login to Me Too

AmigosMCPS
New Community Member

Hello

What did you do you to sort out the Charity Verification?  If you choose lift limits it then asks to verify as business.  We do not have Company Registration number as we are Registered Charity.

Login to Me Too

WAAPHenRescue
New Community Member

I'm just about pulling my hair out with this too. We are also a small charity and the volunteer who set up the paypal account left. I have been trying to cange the principle name on the account for several weeks now. I've sent all the paperwork, then sent it again, spent 2+ hours on the phone altogether. I gave up and opened a new account.

Now I'm trying to set up the new one and confirm as a charity and it's asking for a letter of authorisation on headed note paper. We don't have headed note paper. I managed to register for gift aid with HMRC without any trouble at all, but proving we are a charity to Paypal is impossible. When you phone you get told it's all being sorted and then I get an email to the contrary. I'm just about ready to abandon paypal and find another way of receiving money.

Login to Me Too

TheDyslexiaAsso
New Community Member

I am having exactly the same problem.  I have set up our business paypal account & stated that we are non-profit.  I've done all of the other verification steps and entered all of the information required, but every time I click on 'confirm your charity status' it takes me to the charities page, which then takes me to the lift limits page.  I don't need to lift limits!  I do need to have confirmed charity status though so that we can be listed as a charity to eBay sellers.

I'm getting very frustrated!  Any ideas??

Login to Me Too

PaulHerr
New Community Member

Has anyone received an answer for this? I can't seem to get past 'confirm charity status' button which leads to lift limits' button which leads to 'confirm identity get started' button then absolutely nothing.

Login to Me Too

HampshireParent
New Community Member

Came here looking for answers and just found more problems

We too are struggling to get the account set up properly - keeps asking for beneficial owners and board members - neither of which we truly have as a very small charity - tearing my hair out here for months now

Login to Me Too

tact
New Community Member

I have the exact same problem. 

Your account limits
For security reasons, initial limits are set on the amount you can send, receive and withdraw from your PayPal account. To lift your limits, select all you want to lift and click the Lift Limits button.

Limits refer to your primary currency. If you use a different currency, we will convert the equivalent amount to your primary currency and amend the limit accordingly.

I don't want to lift limits! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.