Charity verification

decomplexity
Contributor
Contributor

I am Chairman of  UK registered small charity that has a had a non-profit PayPal account for several years. 

I recently received an (apparently genuine) email from PayPal suggesting that I "Get a lower rate by confirming your charity status" and giving me a "Confirm your charity status now" link.

This takes me to a PayPal logon page and thence to a Charity page showing several Business Setup steps. When I select the 'Charity status' step it takes me to the Lift Account limit page!

Something somewhere is amiss...

Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

stepbystep
Contributor
Contributor

Just phoned Paypal and we are now confirmed as a Charity. Please note you do NOT have to go through the business set up process. The links are misleading and irrelevant. A quick phone call and a link to our website and it's done!
It's a bit of a pain having to phone but very simply set up when you do.

Login to Me Too

tact
New Community Member

I tried to see if "lifting limits" would somehow help with things. 

Well, I tried to add my bank, but it says sorry that bank account can't be used with anymore PayPal accounts. (I have it linked to my personal account.)

Does this mean I need to set up a new bank account just for the charity? 

Is there a difference between getting formally recognised as a charity & being a non-profit? 

Login to Me Too

JamesThomasWBAR
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue, thought I was doing something wrong. 

Did anyone resolve this? 

Login to Me Too

stepbystep
Contributor
Contributor

Just phoned Paypal and we are now confirmed as a Charity. Please note you do NOT have to go through the business set up process. The links are misleading and irrelevant. A quick phone call and a link to our website and it's done!
It's a bit of a pain having to phone but very simply set up when you do.

Login to Me Too

SashaAF
New Community Member

Hi, did they not say what the problem is? Clearly there is a glitch with their website. I initially thought it was because I was trying to confirm registered status on my mobile; but tried again on the laptop and still same issue. It takes us to lifting limits, but there is nothing else to click on. To those not registered with the Charity Commission, you unfortunately cannot register as a charity to receive the lower fees. My charity has just received registered status, alas not benefitting from it, as PayPal have taken big chunk of fees from us.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.