Using the Paypal Debit at the US Post Office

classicalsteve
Contributor
Contributor

The United States Post Office has apparently changed their policy and cc system slightly that will affect Paypal debit card users. On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I went to post some Ebay sold items, and when I was in the process of completing the transaction, I was informed that my Paypal debit card could only be used as a debit card and not a credit card. It appears that the US post is not allowing the choice of using a debit card as a credit card even though the card has cc numbers. It defaults debit cards to only be used as debit cards and the user must use a PIN number to complete the transaction. I had not used my Paypal debit card as a debit card in many years and did not know my PIN number, and I had to use another account, which is not how I wanted to pay for the shipping. The funds for shipping is also in my Paypal account and I prefer to use it from that account.

This is an issue that Paypal should be aware of. I would like to know if any of my fellow Paypal debit card users are having the same experience.

thank you.

classicalsteve

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Cooterpond
Contributor
Contributor

I use my Pal Pal card as a credit card nearly every day at the Post Office and haven't run into this issue yet.  I'm wondering if we can just request another pin from Pay Pal should this be a new rule?  I haven't ever used my card as a debit either.

Login to Me Too

GuinnessGulper
Contributor
Contributor

If it's like any other POS system out there, when it prompts you for the PIN number just hit Cancel and it will process it as a credit transaction instead.

Login to Me Too

Helper

you should see options to change your pin when you view your debit card among the list of cards on the PayPal accounts. Also, like others have suggested, if you hit "cancel" or choose a Credit Card options to pay, the PayPal (or any other) debit card should work just like clock-work. 😉

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.