Thin Security Key - Safe in Wallet?

webwiz
Contributor
Contributor

I just got my new security key.  While the technology crammed into such a thin card is impressive, I have a few concerns.  First, I read somewhere that the chip is *not* epoxy'd and therefore susceptible to cracking and/or separating from the circuit board.  Second, I also read there's an RFID transponder in there.

Are these accurate?  I don't quite have the "George Costanza" wallet, but there's no way that security key is going to remain perfectly flat in my wallet.  How robust is it?  And should I worry that someone with a nefarious RFID scanner, say on a counter in a store where I might put my wallet for a moment, could slurp up some private info?

Finally, is it just me or are the digits sometimes hard to read and distinguish?  I have to hold the card at just the right angle to see the numbers.

Thanks in advance...

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Suggest not carrying the card in your wallet as it can be damaged.  

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

webwiz
Contributor
Contributor

Well then, other than the cool "Oooh, look how thin we can make this technology" factor, what's the point of a credit-card size object if I can't safely put it in my wallet?!

Login to Me Too

MacUserDude
Contributor
Contributor

Thin security key?

What exactly is the "thin security key"?  I was only aware of the basic grey, oval security key, which is far to thick to go in a wallet.

Login to Me Too

webwiz
Contributor
Contributor

See http://www.thesecuritypractice.com/the_security_practice/2009/07/got-my-new-security-key.html

The gray oval device is still around  (I think) but this newer token is the size and shape of a credit card.  You push a button on the front, and a small display shows a generated series of digits.

Login to Me Too

MacUserDude
Contributor
Contributor

Ah. Groovy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.