Seems too good to be true

charlieTango
New Community Member

So this guy emails me saying he wants to buy my "item" from craigslist.  he says he wants to give me 100 more than the asking price because he's so interested in it.  He also says he's a marine in the UK corps; then proceeds to write his message with tons of grammatical errors.  He also says he's on a ship in the ocean, and he's buying my bed... which is huge... like 9'x8' huge!

Anyway, he says he'll pay through paypal, which is good, in fact it says that's all I'll accept on my ad.  Is this too good to be true?  If he sends the money to me and I have it in my account is it a done deal?  Has he actually sent me the money or is there a chance of fraud here?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Craigslist and PayPal = a bad combination.  You have to remember that if a buyer pays you then comes to your house to pick the item up the buyer could then return home and file a dispute with PayPal because you do not have any delivery confirmation to provide. 

BTW, the UK Marine on a ship in the middle of the ocean is an old scam that has been around for a while.  Maybe the marine wants the bed so he can jump ship?  You can always reply this man and let him know your relative is also a UK marine who can accept his cash payment if they are on the same vessel.  After an e-mail like that the scammer is likely to find another victim.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

It's a scam.

The Navy issues soldiers a bed and they're not allowed to import their own.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.