Paypal insurance for broken items

RosWinslow
Contributor
Contributor

Glass item i purchased through e-bay broke in mailing. I paid through Paypal. USPS said they will not pay insurance because package was not  boxed or wrapped properly.  Will Paypal insurance cover this if seller does not refund the money?  I paid $31.40 for shipping and insurance .  The seller could have double-boxed and wrapped in bubble wrap as I requested for that price.  What should i do?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

tr_right
Contributor
Contributor

File a claim, he will have to refund the money.  Pay as little as you can to ship it back (it's already broken).  You may not receive a return shipping refund.  You must file a claim within 45 days of the auction ending.  File item not as described.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I agree with the above poster.

If there are sharp pieces of glass in whatever's left of the piece, inform Paypal of this and include a picture, if you can.  Paypal may allow you to dispose of the item instead of returning it.

Point out SPECIFICALLY that the items are now dangerous to ship back.

Login to Me Too

RosWinslow
Contributor
Contributor

I took the box of broken item to local USPS and they are mailing it back to the seller's post office.  They said they don't think USPS will honor the shipping insurance I paid for due to poor packaging on the seller's part.  I asked seller for a refund.  no response yet.

Thanks,

RosW

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Some sellers will try to stall you.

Unless you have the refund in your hands by day 40, say, file the claim NO MATTER WHAT THE SELLER PROMISES.

Login to Me Too

RosWinslow
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your support in me filing a claim no matter what.  I will do just that as soon as e-bay says it is o.k.  When i started the claim e-bay responded with it is too early to file.  i will check each day.

You are right the seller used a sickness/ impending death in the family as an excuse.  She didn't use illness as an excuse when I paypaled her the payment..huh?

Thanks again,

RosW

Login to Me Too

RosWinslow
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

i took the box and broken glass item to the local USPS postoffice.  They will send it back to the seller's post office but said it won't be covered with paid insurance due to the way it was packed.  paypal said it was too early to file a claim but I will have to within 45 days as you say.

RosW

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.