Paypal Plug-in Secure Card Generator Discontinued?!

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

This STINKS! It looks like the Paypal Plug-in has been abandoned entirely (I’m in the US)…

I created a new account less than a month ago, downloaded the Paypal Plugin Secured Cards app and was notified that I’d have to wait 30 days for it to be active “for security purposes” [I'm sure]… I have about 12 more days until I was SUPPOSED to be able to use it…

As I was VERY thrilled about the aspect of using the Paypal Plugin, I was trying to show my friend the app today and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!?! The application loads and brings me to the paypal site and instead of it displaying all of the info about the Paypal Plugin it says PAYPAL PLUG-IN, NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!

Wow Paypal, not announced as a discontinued product ANYWHERE on your site (that I could find), just literally dissapeared as if it never existed, half your account reps dont even know it after I made several calls in and they asked other reps among them…

I’m extremely dissapointed as I was looking forward to using iPaypal Plug-in and especially since I have to wait about 40 days to get the regular Paypal card now…it would have been GREAT to use the Paypal Plug-in sooner. Maybe since the plugin is "no longer available" the Paypal Debit Card should be offered sooner so my business doesn't have to suffer while I wait to deposit funds into my bank account so I can turn around and buy products that my customers ordered from me.

Please note:: I'm NOT trying to bash Paypal as it's been GREAT in terms of integration into our shopping cart software and easy to use, safe, secure, etc...but from my point of view, where I need the Paypal Debit Card sooner than later and I was EXPECTING to be able to use the Paypal Plug-in as a "work-around" THIRTY DAYS before I could have used the Paypal Plug-in, this is a severe dissapointment to me and my business partners.

PLEASE BRING THE PAYPAL PLUG-IN BACK!!! =’(

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?! Does anyone from Paypal have a reason/excuse as to why this seemingly cool & useful product would dissapear with absolutely no formal reason/acknowledgement from the company that developed it? (again I may be wrong, but I could not find any info about the app being discontinued, nor have any of the support articles for the program been updated to say that Virtual Cards are gone, and so is the Paypal Plug-in)

This makes me lose faith in RELYING on a system that in the future like this, because how am I supposed to be able to develop a "standard operating platform/procedure" all the while knowing that the product might randomly go away? Obviously I'll have to rely on the Paypal Debit Card and my other back-up funding accounts, but this whole thing just hurts =( haha.

Any comments or reasonings here would be appreciated. Thanks 😃

Login to Me Too
81 REPLIES 81

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I lucked out this time. Smiley Happy  I had the plug-in on my old PC, but I switched over to a Macbook and the plug-in supposedly doesn't work for a Macbook.  I downloaded it anyway, but never could do anything automatically - had to sign in and request a single use card each time.   So, is it the fact that they have me signed up on their system and identified by my ISP ID or just my acct #?  I guess I was "grandfathered" in.

It would be nice if they brought it back for everyone.  It's very handy to have, especially since I really hate giving out a personal card unless I know the online merchant and have done business with them before.

SecurityCameras:  When you say you say you reimaged your computer, doesn't that mean that you reinstalled ALL that was on it previously?  Why wouldn't that have the original Paypal info?  I'm  probably confused on this.  Wouldn't you still be on their system with your ISP ID or acct #?  Or does something like the Paypal plugin have to be reinstalled in that situation?

Login to Me Too

TerriB
Contributor
Contributor

@Securitycameras wrote:

After going through all the voice prompts I finally got though to a live person. He stated they canceled the program for the secure card BUT if you already have it installed on your computer then you can still use it. I told him I had to reimage my computer and I didnt have it anymore and he said I was out of luck.

I went thur the wrigner today with my plug in that I just used YESTERDAY that would not work today. I got so mad abou their cust svc and that they had no clue about the plug-in and I called twice. I uninstalled the plug-in and said forgetabgout it. However after reading your post about if its on the PC you can use it although it was on mine this morning and was dead as a doornail...I found the download link and installed it again and it works fine.

I think we are in the Paypal Twilight Zone

Terri

Login to Me Too

Horrible
Contributor
Contributor

I'm really bummed out about this!

I just bought an Apple and wanted to install it like I did on my H.P. computer and could not find it on the Pay Pal web site.

I called them and the rep didn't know what I was talking about!

I did a search and it stated it was not available any more.

I used the secure credit card a lot!   

What a shame!

Login to Me Too

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on a Mac now after switching from MS/Dell.  I use the Paypal secure card on an individual basis.  I go to the secure card section when I pull up my Paypal acct and request a one-time card.  I then have to write down the card #, exp date etc. and use on whatever site I'm buying from.  But so far, it's working for me - don't know why.  I haven't used it in a couple of weeks, so who knows, maybe the next time won't work.

But try it.  See if you can generate a card manually.  It's not as good as the automatic version, but better than nothing!

Login to Me Too

Horrible
Contributor
Contributor

Hey!  I see what you meam.

At first I tried downloading the plug in which I just noticed was next to my account under tools.

When I did it stated this was a windows program and I tried to install it anyway and it said it was a dos program so it didn't work.

I did like you said about the secure card and it appears it will work.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to tell you, there is no Mac version, never has been.  So even if the automatic Plug-In was working correctly, you still couldn't use it on a Mac.

Generating a card individually is the only way to go on a Mac.  It's better that nothing :-}

Login to Me Too

Hasan
Contributor
Contributor

This just left me more confused than ever.  I used a one-time credit card number generated from the paypal site (I never installed the plugin) to make a purchase last week, it seemed to work - though I got a call from Mastercard to confirm that it wasn't a fraudulent purchase).

I was surprised to see a 10 cent additional charge though.  Has Paypal always charged 10 cents to use this service and I just never noticed it before?

Login to Me Too

TerriB
Contributor
Contributor

No they never charged before. First they said it was not in the customers' best interest to continute the plug-in and now they are charging for the use of the one time card when done manually? JEEZ

Terri

@Hasan wrote:

This just left me more confused than ever.  I used a one-time credit card number generated from the paypal site (I never installed the plugin) to make a purchase last week, it seemed to work - though I got a call from Mastercard to confirm that it wasn't a fraudulent purchase).

I was surprised to see a 10 cent additional charge though.  Has Paypal always charged 10 cents to use this service and I just never noticed it before?

Login to Me Too

somniloquist
Contributor
Contributor

Hey zanne101, can you right-click that link to the "On the right, under My Account Tools, is the PayPal Plugin" and also the "Account Tools" link and paste both links into your reply on this thread?

Login to Me Too

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

I tried copying the links, but came up with the same info as the URLs which gives me a message of "you are using an outdated version, which often occurs when using bookmarks".  So, I don't know what to tell you.  I can click on My Account Tools and then Secure Card and it works fine, but if I try to go at it any other way, I get that message.

After you click on My Account Tools, are you clicking on the Plug-In instead of Secure Card?  Maybe that's the difference????

Hope something works for you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.