Paypal Plug-in Secure Card Generator Discontinued?!

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

This STINKS! It looks like the Paypal Plug-in has been abandoned entirely (I’m in the US)…

I created a new account less than a month ago, downloaded the Paypal Plugin Secured Cards app and was notified that I’d have to wait 30 days for it to be active “for security purposes” [I'm sure]… I have about 12 more days until I was SUPPOSED to be able to use it…

As I was VERY thrilled about the aspect of using the Paypal Plugin, I was trying to show my friend the app today and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!?! The application loads and brings me to the paypal site and instead of it displaying all of the info about the Paypal Plugin it says PAYPAL PLUG-IN, NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!

Wow Paypal, not announced as a discontinued product ANYWHERE on your site (that I could find), just literally dissapeared as if it never existed, half your account reps dont even know it after I made several calls in and they asked other reps among them…

I’m extremely dissapointed as I was looking forward to using iPaypal Plug-in and especially since I have to wait about 40 days to get the regular Paypal card now…it would have been GREAT to use the Paypal Plug-in sooner. Maybe since the plugin is "no longer available" the Paypal Debit Card should be offered sooner so my business doesn't have to suffer while I wait to deposit funds into my bank account so I can turn around and buy products that my customers ordered from me.

Please note:: I'm NOT trying to bash Paypal as it's been GREAT in terms of integration into our shopping cart software and easy to use, safe, secure, etc...but from my point of view, where I need the Paypal Debit Card sooner than later and I was EXPECTING to be able to use the Paypal Plug-in as a "work-around" THIRTY DAYS before I could have used the Paypal Plug-in, this is a severe dissapointment to me and my business partners.

PLEASE BRING THE PAYPAL PLUG-IN BACK!!! =’(

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?! Does anyone from Paypal have a reason/excuse as to why this seemingly cool & useful product would dissapear with absolutely no formal reason/acknowledgement from the company that developed it? (again I may be wrong, but I could not find any info about the app being discontinued, nor have any of the support articles for the program been updated to say that Virtual Cards are gone, and so is the Paypal Plug-in)

This makes me lose faith in RELYING on a system that in the future like this, because how am I supposed to be able to develop a "standard operating platform/procedure" all the while knowing that the product might randomly go away? Obviously I'll have to rely on the Paypal Debit Card and my other back-up funding accounts, but this whole thing just hurts =( haha.

Any comments or reasonings here would be appreciated. Thanks 😃

Login to Me Too
81 REPLIES 81

GuinnessGulper
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the link you tried?  For me, under My Account there is a heading on the right side, halfway down, called Account Tools and under that is the link to the Paypal Plugin.  If you don't have that or it doesn't work, let me know.

Login to Me Too

Securitycameras
Contributor
Contributor

yeah I dont have that, I even googled the plugin which brought me to a link https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/NewPayPalPlugin-outside and from there it says discontinue. Any help is appreciated.

Login to Me Too

partlocator
Contributor
Contributor

Depending on what type of account you have, the Account Tools might not be available.  

If, after logging into PayPal, the URL is https://paypalmanager.paypal.com/home.do, you won't have access to Account Tools.  

Login to Me Too

Securitycameras
Contributor
Contributor

I just dont think they have the software on their server to download period.

Login to Me Too

paintballmavin
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the new link to the PayPal Plug-In....It works, I just now downloaded it.

https://dl.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_vdc-plugin-download

Login to Me Too

Securitycameras
Contributor
Contributor

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!Man Very Happy THATS WHAT IM SAYING!!!!! WHOOO HOOO Finally! Thank youuuuuuuuu!!!! Hopefully more people find this thread and can get the download link... THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

somniloquist
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome paintballmavin, thank you.  Can you also post the URL of the link to the webpage for generating cards?  That's more useful to me than the plugin because I am using a Mac.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

GuinnessGulper
Contributor
Contributor

Of course they do, as I've indicated I've downloaded it a couple times today already.  The link has been posted but if you still need the file let me know.

Login to Me Too

momkatmax
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded to Firefox 3.6 and it will not work.  Works fine in IE8 though.  I did have a call from PayPal asking if I did charge lately to a certain company for 59.00.  Checked with main office to see if this was a legit call and it is, just checking for security.

Login to Me Too

TerriB
Contributor
Contributor

@momkatmax wrote:

I just upgraded to Firefox 3.6 and it will not work.  Works fine in IE8 though.  I did have a call from PayPal asking if I did charge lately to a certain company for 59.00.  Checked with main office to see if this was a legit call and it is, just checking for security.

I have Firefox 3.5.8 and it works fine. Thanks for telling me that as I will be careful about going to 3.6. Have not gotten the update from Mozilla yet.

edit:  I just found out that part of my Norton 360 internet security package is not compatible with Firefox 3.6 yet so I will wait a while.

Paypal has called me about the last several purchases  I made to make sure it was really me . I  was suspicious too  and called just like you did. Calling about each purchase must be some job with all of us out here buying stuff.

Terri

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.