How can I get my money from a cheating seller?

tr_right
Contributor
Contributor

He promised me a refund, then didn't send it, and disputed my paypal claim!

A seller sold coupons on eBay, and lied in the listing.  He stated the coupons could be stacked and used over the phone and they couldn't.  He sent an email with coupons attached, and in the email it basically said, by the way, I wouldn't try to stack these or use them over the phone.

I demanded a refund, and he was rude about it but agreed.  He said in a couple days he would send the refund.  I waited 9 days and started emailing him about it, (it's over $160).  He never responded again.  I filed a dispute after warning him. He is fighting the dispute! I don't know how to send paypal the emails, he thinks since he sent the coupons through email he doesn't have to pay me.  He is reselling the codes for the coupons, but I don't get my money back???

I didn't use the coupons, and I'm not going to.  What should I do

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

Kitty1

Are we not all victims when it comes to PayPal and it's antics, as well as eBay and theirs? Getting too big for the britches  is quite an understatement! They just plain stink and that's all there is to it! To the gentleman who lost such a large amount. It will come back to you someday. Perhaps not as funds which is indeed sad but in other ways! Good luck on your quest as I am sure there is an answer and a way!

Login to Me Too

popeye
Contributor
Contributor

thats what i figured too.   thanks for the advice...  least were honest.   

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If Paypal sees those purchases an aa non tangable purchase, you wil lose.

If they don't you should be covered in full.

If they do, you can contact your cc comapny and file a chargeback

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@profdata wrote:

If Paypal sees those purchases an aa non tangable purchase, you wil lose.

If they don't you should be covered in full.

PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy no longer has the "intangibles not covered" text or the "must be a tangible item which can be shipped" text. In addition, it specifically mentions emailed tickets as being covered.

Login to Me Too

tr_right
Contributor
Contributor

The items were meant to be shipped as well, but never were.  Because I was supposed to get a refund.

Login to Me Too

tr_right
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if he's trying to say he mailed them?

Login to Me Too
Solved

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@ashnicolew wrote:

I don't know if he's trying to say he mailed them?

If the tracking and shipping information is blank, it obviously is not proof that he mailed them.

Call PayPal tomorrow... point out that the tracking information is blank.

Login to Me Too

tr_right
Contributor
Contributor

I was confused about why he would even send blank information.  I will call them.

Login to Me Too

tr_right
Contributor
Contributor

I called paypal, they immediately closed the case and refunded me when they noticed the seller sent blank info.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@ashnicolew wrote:

I called paypal, they immediately closed the case and refunded me when they noticed the seller sent blank info.

Thanks for posting the update... closing the case and refunding your payment is exactly the correct response from PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.