wrongly accused of selling counterfeit goods, fault in paypals buyer protection polcy

feeky
Contributor
Contributor

i sold a pair of adidas shoes to someone in france, who a while after receiving them put in a claim that they were counterfeit.

paypal just tell you they are dealing with it and to add a comment if i felt it would help the claim. my comment was that i am an official adidas dealer and have the invoice from adidas with the shoes on it that were sold.

not thinking anymore of it, i got an email yesterday saying that they have awarded it in favour of the buyer

£80 down the drain and nothing i can do about it

i asked why i wasnt contacted to provide the evidence i had to show that the item was genuine

paypals answer, 'we dont contact the seller in these cases as you could manipulate the evidence'

so obviously its alright that the buyer is allowed to though!!

the buyer somehow got a third party to state that the shoes were counterfeit, but paypal wont tell me who this is or show me the evidence that was provided.

im sorry paypal, but there is a major flaw here and im sure there are scammers out there who know this and i have probably just became the latest victim.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_david

Hi there Feeky,

If a buyer opens a dispute through the PayPal website and they claim that an item they received was a counterfeit product, we fully investigate the case before making a decision on the outcome of the claim. In a lot of cases, the buyer would be asked to obtain documentation in order to support their claim. 

In order for us to be able to accept this documentation, it needs to show a lot of specific information in regards to the item the buyer has received.

Have you tried contacting customer services in order to determine if you can appeal the outcome of the case so that you can provide documentation showing your invoices for the items that you have sold? I don't think we would not accept documentation for cases and I also don't see how you would be able to manipulate the document.

Another thing that you could try is to contact your local citizen's advice bureau and trading standards office and they could advise you what more you can do to try and get your money back from this person.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

grouchocat1
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps the answer is for PayPal to have a system that does not (in the vast majority of cases) work in favour of

buyers that can just lie. When will Paypal Managers WAKE UP.

Login to Me Too

WAKEUPNOWPLZ
Contributor
Contributor

MY SISTER HAD A SIMILAR ISSUE SHE SOLD A NEW NETBOOK WITH NO CHARGER AFTER 3 WEEKS OF RECIEVING THE ITEM THE CUSTOMER CLAIMED IT WASNT WORKING AND IT TOOK HER 3 WEEKS TO GET A CHARGER EBAY AWARDED IN BUYERS FAVOUR AND MY SISTER LOST £53+ AND AS SHE REMOVED HER BANK DETAILS AS  EBAY GAVE THE BUYER THE WRONG RETURN ADDRESS SHE WAS STILL EXPECTED TO REFUND THE MONEY WITHOUT THE NETBOOK AND AS SHE DIDNT LEAVE HER BANK DETAILS FOR THEM TO TAKE THE MONEY IT TOOK 7 WEEKS 21 PHONE CALLS BETWEEN EBAY AND PAYPAL AND INCURRED 26 POUND PHONE BILL AND STILL THEY ARE CHASING HER FOR THE £5-6 INSURTION FEE WHAT A JOKE PAYPAL U CAN TELL IS OWNED BY EBAY ITS SHAMBOLIC AT THE BEST OF TIMES AND I EVEN TOLD PAYPAL WE WAS SURE THAT AFTER SPEAKING A qualified electrician that if the customer had wrong voltage it would blow it yet as i never got the item back it couldnt be checked for what the fault was yet the netbook never got plugged in my sis took the charger out to use for something else  AND SHE STILL GETS GRIEF OVER IT NOW EVEN A SUSPENDED ACCOUNT DUE TO A CON ARTIST ON EBAY

Login to Me Too

rich141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Paypal do need to address the issue, I have the same issue with a French buyer,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.