how to claim money back that got sent to the wrong email address, that was supplied by the seller?

vonny
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item off ebay & sent payment as usual. Noticed that it was pending so got in contact with seller to be told that he had changed his email address half way through listing.

He then provided me with the new email so i sent a payment to that address, to then be told that he had made a small mistake on the email address. It was just an extra 'full stop' that was wrong. I have filled a 'request form in the the 'new incorrect' email but not sure what is going to happen now, really dont want to be paying out twice for the one item that i originally purchased.

please please please can someone help me?

Many thanks for reading,

Yvonne

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_david

Hi Vonny,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you Smiley Sad

It sounds to me that you have sent two payments to different email addresses. One of them was an 'Unclaimed' payment that you have since cancelled and the second payment has completed to another email address that you thought was the correct one.

If you have cancelled the 'Unclaimed' payment, that is good news Smiley Happy. From what I understand from reading your posts, you have sent a second payment to an email address provided to you by the seller and this has completed to the PayPal account that the email address is registered on. If the email address that this completed payment is not correct, you can firstly try and contact the email address in question explaining the issue to them and hopefully, they will see the payment and refund it to you.

If they do not refund the payment to you or reply to your request, the only thing that you can do I'm afraid is file a dispute on the transaction through your account Smiley Sad. By opening a dispute for non-receipt of an item, this should help you to get your refund as the person that has received your payment as they will not be posting any item to you.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know how it goes,

David.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_barry

Hi Vonny, your situation does sound confusing and a little frustrating for you, I imagine. What has basically happened is that the seller has forwarded you 2 e-mail addresses in error. When you look at the status of those payments made in your PayPal History log, they should say “Unclaimed”. I would suggest that you go to the details of those transactions and select “Cancel”. The payments will be returned to you.

To save any further confusion or error. You should advise your seller, to go to their PayPal account and get them to send you a “Payment Request”. That way the request for payments comes directly from the sellers account, so there should be no confusion or mix up about the e-mail address. You can then pay this immediately, and that should resolve the issue for you. Hope it works out.

Login to Me Too

vonny
Contributor
Contributor

Hi & thanks for getting back to ,

When the purchase was first made thats when i noticed the payment was pending, so when i got in contact with the seller he told me that he had changed his email half way through the list & thats why he could not accept the payment.

so i cancelled the payment.

Then he sent me the new email which i then sent the payment off to, straight from paypal  Not via the ebay way ( if that makes any sence??)

Its after i sent the payment that he then came back to me & told me he had made a error on the  spelling of the email address.

So im still unsure of what path i should now go down because it states on my account that the transaction is now complete.

I have sent a request off to whom ever the payment has gone to stating that it has been sent in error (just incase there is an account with the 'incorrect email??)

I do hope that this makes sence,

Thanks for reading

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_david

Hi Vonny,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you Smiley Sad

It sounds to me that you have sent two payments to different email addresses. One of them was an 'Unclaimed' payment that you have since cancelled and the second payment has completed to another email address that you thought was the correct one.

If you have cancelled the 'Unclaimed' payment, that is good news Smiley Happy. From what I understand from reading your posts, you have sent a second payment to an email address provided to you by the seller and this has completed to the PayPal account that the email address is registered on. If the email address that this completed payment is not correct, you can firstly try and contact the email address in question explaining the issue to them and hopefully, they will see the payment and refund it to you.

If they do not refund the payment to you or reply to your request, the only thing that you can do I'm afraid is file a dispute on the transaction through your account Smiley Sad. By opening a dispute for non-receipt of an item, this should help you to get your refund as the person that has received your payment as they will not be posting any item to you.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know how it goes,

David.

Login to Me Too

vonny
Contributor
Contributor

Hi & thanks for getting back to me,

I should have closed this case but it slipped my mind because the payment did eventually get refunded (phew!). So everything has been sorted now.

Thanks thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.