Scammed

JoshRusling
Contributor
Contributor

Around a month ago (I think) I traded a virtual item through steam, a game distributer client, on the condition that he would pay me first and then I send him the item. All was fine he even thanked me I thanked him and then we parted ways. Around two weeks ago (Again I think) PayPal had notified me that the buyer has asked for a reversal however I had no email or message to say what it was about or even that he was giving me my item back.

With this I emailed him and asked why he was doing this to me and once I read his response he denied even making the trade or that we have even spoke before- confirming that he is playing the victim.

I now understand that there is almost no way of reversing this I just want to know what PayPal will do about this or what will happen to me as I no longer have the money to pay him and my account is empty.

Thank you- Josh.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If paypal find in his favour (and as there is no seller protection for virtual items then there is that risk) then if you refuse or can't pay him back then paypal will do so under there buyer protection scheme.

BUT they will limit your account and put it in to negative balance until you pay them back again. If you don't pay them back then they sell the "debt" to a recovery debt firm.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JoshRusling
Contributor
Contributor

I have two days to pay him and what is a recovery debt firm?

Thank you, also.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Debt recovery agents are firms that deal on unpaid debt and come knocking on your door to try and recover any monies owed.

What happens is the debt gets bigger as their costs get added to the cost of the initial debt.

They don't have the power of balliffs but personally i would not want them to keep knocking on my door.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JoshRusling
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I guess I will have to sell something to pay him as I literally don't have the money also he sent me it through 'family/friends' instead of business what does that mean?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Well he sent it as a gift payment but you are not allowed to sell and ask buyers to pay that way.

But he would not be able to raise a paypal dispute so i guess he raised a dispute directly via his credit card issuer who raised a chargeback against you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JoshRusling
Contributor
Contributor

Well I'm F***ed either way but thank again.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.