Scam in progress

Robert79
Contributor
Contributor
hi all. Just a quick one needed please. Am seeking van on gumtree and have someone who wants it. Sounds dodgy as anything as they don't want to see it and will send a courier. Seen these are scams online. Now they've sent the money across but £420 extra. They want me to send the £420 to a money gram account. This is obviously complete crap. Is there anything I can do to scam the scammer? Thanks
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No not really, he is probably in Nigeria, heres how the scam works.

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Robert79
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah knew it wasn't right. However I wanted to get them back. Never mind. Sent them a nice colourful email lol Thanks buddy
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Careful best just to ignore them, they have been known to use emails to sign folks up to nasty sites as revenge if you retaliate.  Smiley Sad

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.