Request details of appeal process for charges for reversal.

peppers
Contributor
Contributor
I wonder if I could please ask for some support regarding my case and unlawful charges against my account. As you can see below I have been advised that I have been charged for a reversal of funds back to the buyers account. Why is it that I the seller who has been using Paypal for over 10 years is being charged because the buyer decided to change the shipping address? Could I also ask what the eligibility requirements are for Seller Protection Policy? I simply followed all rules to place an auction on ebay and now I am being charged £15 for money DUE TO ME to be returned to the seller. It’s just not right. 

This generic response from Paypal is not acceptable. I can’t imagine the profits you must be making with the lack of service and information you give to your customers.

Why are you blaming the seller? Why don’t you charge the buyer? The person who had two different addresses on their account? Why are you sending me a generic email and not making me aware of the full details of why you held my money for a week and then charging me in the process to return the funds to the buyer or what the buyer has added to this investigation. I am still in contact with the buyer who assures me she didn’t even ask for it to be mailed to a different address! 

Why can’t I speak to anyone about this? Your virtual assistant is useless and I cant get through on the phone. What is your appeal process? If you were to receive the email below would you find this an acceptable response for charging you for something you didn’t even do wrong? 

I have received a lot of bad press regarding Paypal over the years and have stuck up for what I thought was a good service. How wrong I was. 

I’ll be surprised if I receive a response from this but I wanted others to know about my awful experience. 

Dear Miss *

We've concluded our investigation into the transaction detailed below.

Because you did not meet the eligibility requirements for the PayPal Seller
Protection Policy, you will be charged for this reversed transaction. We've
returned the funds to the PayPal account holder. Your account will be
debited for the amount of this transaction.
Helping ensure safe transactionsMost payments you receive will be from
good, honest buyers. However, there may be some that are not.

You can often reduce your risk to these payments by paying close attention
to payment details and unusual requests.

Watch for address inconsistencies:

Although it's fairly common for a buyer's postal address to be different
from the billing address, in some cases it could indicate fraud. For
instance, a high-priced item that has a billing address in one country and
a postal address in another may be suspicious.

Beware of unusual requests that could indicate suspicious activity, such as:
- Buyers who want you to post an item to them ASAP and at any cost
- Buyers who send partial payments from different PayPal accounts
- Do not make payment in full

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PPID PP951
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

peppers
Contributor
Contributor

And 4 days pass without a response.

Can anyone help me?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

There's no additional charge on a payment like this. It says you are charged in the sense that you were not covered by seller protection so the payment was reversed. It's not great wording I agree and hopefully we can get it changed :smileyindifferent:

In regards why you were not covered, well it sounds like the item was sent to a different address to the address you were supplied with in the payment. The seller protection policy protects you if you follow a number of steps, one of which  is to send the item to the shipping address you are given in the payment.

As for why it was flagged up in the first place, this would be due to issues on the buyers account. They can vary widely from relatively minor problems like a fear of a third party accessing an account to major problems like an account conducting money laundering or being investigated legally. If the buyer sorts out whatever the problems are on their account then the payment will be allowed to complete whether or not you are covered under the Seller Protection Policy.

Login to Me Too

peppers
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks John. I appreciate the response.

What makes it even more strange is that I am still in possession of the item which I sold. This is because I have not received payment (Paypal held the funds) and I wasnt sending the item until i had received payment.

So is there anyway I can claim back these reversal charges? The buyer assured me that she had made no changes to her account and I was only following the information given to me by Paypal regarding what address to sent the item to etc.

As you can imagine I am really frustrated that I am being charged for following all rules.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hi peppers, let me just confirm again. You were not charged for the reversal of the funds. Only the funds that you received were reversed, there was no other additional charge. You can see this yourself in the “History Log” of your PayPal account. As you still had the item in your possession, we did not have to cover you for our Seller Protection Policy, as that only comes into effect when the item was posted out by yourself. I hope that clarifies the matter for you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.