Received an item not as described complaint, now what?

I sold an item on ebay and there was confusion between my desription and what ebay auto selected as far as being brand new. So I took the bigger step and asked my buyer to return the item to me with a tracking # and I would then refund her money.  She responded a day later stating that she just wanted a refund and didn't want to incur any other shipping costs and she didn't want to return the item to me.

I have a tracking number showing the item was delivered to my buyer and her emails through ebay stating she doesn't want to return the item she just wants a full refund. What am I supposed to do? Will paypal make her return the item before the refund the money?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

In that case why not suggest a compromise?

Tell her to send it back trackable (which she would have to do anyway if she filed a dispute), and then when you get the item back you will refund her the payment plus return postage.

If she declines that then i would just leave it up to ebay / paypal and if she does not return it she does not get a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sorry but if the item was not brand new then you should have selected that, blaming the auto selector is not on as you choose from the drop down list whether its new or not.

And yes if you sold it as brand new and it was not then i don't blame the buyer for not wanting to pay return shipping costs for your mistake.

HOWEVER if she files a dispute she will have to return it at her own cost but good sellers will refund the total amount and then send a payment for return shipping costs but of course you can't be forced to do the latter.

Personally as a seller i would send her a full refund and an apology. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

I never told her I would not refund shipping, it wasn't even discussed I simply stated I was sorry and I acknowledged it was my mistake I should have checked my listing before starting it hence why I said to return the item and I would refund her money. She in her email says she doesn't want to incur the time or funds to return the item. 

I know I am wrong and I have been selling on ebay for over 10 years with no issues this is a first. But I can not just send her $50.00 back without getting my item back and the availablity of me to relist it. It's a video game so it's not an unusally large or difficult item to place in the mail especially when with delivery confirmation I paid $3 to ship to her. 

Thanks

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

In that case why not suggest a compromise?

Tell her to send it back trackable (which she would have to do anyway if she filed a dispute), and then when you get the item back you will refund her the payment plus return postage.

If she declines that then i would just leave it up to ebay / paypal and if she does not return it she does not get a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Mistychuck1
Contributor
Contributor
I suffered the same thing as described- but I was the buyer! Tracking from the U.S. Showed the item arrived in "GB". I tried patiently to explain that although we are a small island, there are many cities, towns and villages but the item did not arrive at the postal address I quoted! To this day I have never received the item. I've learned my lesson though- no more international purchases for me!! It seems on that occasion PayPal read the tracking and refunded me, which is more than the seller wanted of course!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.