PayPal claims as a seller

Eam93
Contributor
Contributor
Hi guys! So I have recently sold an item via Depop. The item was an electrical device and stated that it had been trailed for a few hours, but didn't suit us. The buyer requested that I do the sale privately through PayPal and not through Depop, which I refused. The buyer also messaged me a number of times asking me to send the next day, which I said I would try. On the day of revcieving it, i had a message stating that there was scratches to the paint work and slight scratches on the screen. I asked the buyer to provide photos for me, as I took photos on the day I sent it and I would be willing to send my address for a refund. She said she "couldn't be bothered" to take photos and she would just talent up with PayPal to get her money back, she then has now opened a claim against me. I'm just wondering what will happen next? I have photos of the product as I felt sceptical and notice no scratches after being asked to sell privately. And I had stated it had been tested. I have read that buyers always win their cases. Is there anything I can do to ensure that I'm not ripped out of money??
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

snoozyblue
Contributor
Contributor

If you asked buyers, they'd say sellers always win their cases =P Worst case scenario here is that PayPal will ask the buyer to return the item for a full refund. If this happens, call and tell PayPal if the item arrives more damaged then when you sent it- they can cover for this situation. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eam93

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is always one persons word against anothers.

So paypal do ''tend'' to favour the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you (trackable to prove delivery) and then you have to refund them.

They do say that if the item is returned not in the condition sent that you can appeal it but to be honest its very difficult to prove anything in that situation and appeals rarely work from my experience as a seller and on here.

Sometimes you just have to put it back to the risks of online selling and the fact you do get P.IT.A buyers occasionally.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.