Account limited, name change denied

gadgetsboy
Contributor
Contributor

My christian name is Mark, but I have always been known as Dave (long story) when opening my paypal account I stupidly used the name Dave. My account has now been limited and I tried to sort out the request for info paypal asked for but as you can imagine all my documents are in the name of Mark. I requested a name change and provided all the documents paypal asked for Passport & drivers licence. I then got the following reply 

"

Dear david xxxxxx ,

Thank you for contacting PayPal about the name on your PayPal account.

When opening a PayPal account, it is required that the information you enter be true and accurate. The name that you list as the contact name should match the name that is listed on your state identification card. To ensure a more secure online payment environment, we do not allow users to switch ownership of a PayPal account or change the account's name to a different one. If this is the case, then you may want to consider closing this account and open a new account under your name and contact information. You can transfer the funds from this account to your new PayPal account, and then close this account.

If you have any further question, you can contact our Customer Service team by clicking Contact Us at the bottom of any PayPal page."

How do i manage that? my bank account is linked to the first account and cant be linked to two accounts, I cant transfer money (the balance) because my account is limited, and I cant close my account for the same reason. Is this just paypals way of stealing my balance?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Jason-C
Contributor
Contributor

@gadgetsboy

@gadgetsboy wrote:

My christian name is Mark, but I have always been known as Dave (long story) when opening my paypal account I stupidly used the name Dave. My account has now been limited and I tried to sort out the request for info paypal asked for but as you can imagine all my documents are in the name of Mark. I requested a name change and provided all the documents paypal asked for Passport & drivers licence. I then got the following reply 

"

Dear david xxxxxx ,

Thank you for contacting PayPal about the name on your PayPal account.

When opening a PayPal account, it is required that the information you enter be true and accurate. The name that you list as the contact name should match the name that is listed on your state identification card. To ensure a more secure online payment environment, we do not allow users to switch ownership of a PayPal account or change the account's name to a different one. If this is the case, then you may want to consider closing this account and open a new account under your name and contact information. You can transfer the funds from this account to your new PayPal account, and then close this account.

If you have any further question, you can contact our Customer Service team by clicking Contact Us at the bottom of any PayPal page."

How do i manage that? my bank account is linked to the first account and cant be linked to two accounts, I cant transfer money (the balance) because my account is limited, and I cant close my account for the same reason. Is this just paypals way of stealing my balance?

Hi there,

I would be happy to provide some information on your case.

First of all, in terms of PayPal's approach, this is considered fair and common practice in the prevention of fraud, money laundering and identity theft. In addition to this, there are strict legal regulations which must be adhered to by PayPal.

As you have used a completely alternate name to your legal one, regardless of the associated reasons of that, PayPal are unable to perform a change unless it is due to marriage or any other legal reason as to why your original contact name is no longer accurate - but it never was accurate in your case.

Now, the advisor has suggested to transfer your funds to a new account and close the current one. Based on what you've said, your account is limited and therefore cannot perform transactions on the PayPal network or close the account - nor can you remove your financial information.

It is unfortunate to inform you however, that if your limitation was placed due to using a false name (Dave instead of Mark) and you cannot provide legal documentation to PayPal under that identity, it is standard practice that the account will remain limited. This also means that you won't be able to remove your bank account or credit card from your account nor can it be used to open a new account. If your account has been permanently limited, you are not permitted to use the PayPal service in future unless informed otherwise.

If there are legal grounds for using your alias name, you can exercise your right to appeal. If the name is completely fabricated with no framework to support its use with a financial institution, I am afraid you cannot dispute their decision to limit your account as there no grounds to support your case.

In terms of your funds - PayPal will hold it for a maximum of 180 days from the date of your limitation placement. Once you have approached this period, PayPal will email you with further instructions on how to withdraw your remaining funds. This is necessary to cover any disputes; chargebacks or buyer complaints that could arise.

If you attempt to open a new PayPal account whilst there are unresolved issues or permanent limitations on the old account, you will most definitely face another limitation on the new one which will cause further inconvenience and loss to you.

I am sorry that this is not the advice you were hoping for, however this is common practice taken by  PayPal for customers who do not enter their accurate details upon opening their account. If you do have any further questions on your limitation, please click here to contact PayPal customer support - I recommend by telephone for the most direct and swiftest advice on the matter.

Best Wishes,

Jason C

Login to Me Too

gadgetsboy
Contributor
Contributor

My account was put on limited because

You have received €2,500 or more in total payments to your PayPal account in this calendar year. PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations by collecting information from customers when they receive more than €2,500 in total payments within a calendar year. Until you provide us with the information we need your account will be limited. You won't be able to send or withdraw any money using PayPal, however, you may still be able to receive payments. Please go to the Resolution Centre for more information on what you need to do. When PayPal limits an account, your funds may be held until we've confirmed your identification as per the User Agreement.

Login to Me Too

Jason-C
Contributor
Contributor

@gadgetsboy

@gadgetsboy wrote:

My account was put on limited because

You have received €2,500 or more in total payments to your PayPal account in this calendar year. PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations by collecting information from customers when they receive more than €2,500 in total payments within a calendar year. Until you provide us with the information we need your account will be limited. You won't be able to send or withdraw any money using PayPal, however, you may still be able to receive payments. Please go to the Resolution Centre for more information on what you need to do. When PayPal limits an account, your funds may be held until we've confirmed your identification as per the User Agreement.

Hi there,

You were limited because of the amount of funds received in the past 12 months. EU rules have made it compulsory for PayPal to confirm the identity of their customers before further activity can be performed on the PayPal network.

As you cannot provide documentation under the identity of the account holder, which is marked as "Dave" on the records, your account will remain limited in this state and funds could be held until your information is confirmed, in accordance with the PayPal User Agreement.

At an overview perspective, your limitation was placed automatically and is the same for all customers who approach the limit and haven't confirmed their documentation with PayPal already.

It is at the discretion of PayPal as to whether they can release your funds and/or restore your account. In most cases, they cannot do so due to various restrictions in place. As I mentioned in my previous post, name changes can only be accepted upon marriage, deedpoll or any other legal purpose.

PayPal is the equivalent of a bank - except their verification measures aren't as enforced until a certain amount of activity is performed. As you've declared a false name to them, their actions towards your account is expected to be hostile and with caution. Your account could remain limited and funds held for a minimum of 6 months (180 days) when instructions to withdraw will be emailed to you.

I am afraid there is no further advice to provide on this, as the matter focuses down to a false identity on the PayPal network which is a violation of the User Agreement and therefore is sufficient grounds for them to limit your account and prevent access to funds.

You'll need to click here to speak with PayPal on the phone. From there, you'll need to admit that you've made a mistake and they can advise you on the best approach to handle the situation and their stance on the matter.

Best Wishes,

Jason C

Login to Me Too

gadgetsboy
Contributor
Contributor

I provided both Passport, and driving licence, I think I not only proved who i am but explained why The name change was needed. I had my bank accout in the name of mark attached to the account from the begining nothing was ever queried about that. As I originally thought Its just a good way of paypal stealing my money. BEWARE PEOPLE !!!!

Login to Me Too

Jason-C
Contributor
Contributor

@gadgetsboy

@gadgetsboy wrote:

I provided both Passport, and driving licence, I think I not only proved who i am but explained why The name change was needed. I had my bank accout in the name of mark attached to the account from the begining nothing was ever queried about that. As I originally thought Its just a good way of paypal stealing my money. BEWARE PEOPLE !!!!

Hi there,

PayPal do not have the technical capacity at present to perform a name check with the bank - unless a deposit is sent from that account. This is the purpose of the bank confirmation deposit, which provides verification that you're the account holder.

I understand that you've sent documents to PayPal under your Christian name, but unfortunately those documents won't match the name on your PayPal account. Under EU law, PayPal must confirm the account holder based on the information provided to them - which is under Dave and not Mark. This is the reason that they cannot accept documentation under your true identity, because that person's information doesn't exist on their system.

Your only option is to explain to PayPal on the phone of your situation. It would be advisable to do this, as they can start the 180 day countdown of your funds to be released - as at present, the limitation is temporary which means funds will be held until a response is provided from you.

Whilst I do understand it is frustrating for you, I would see this as a valuable lesson learnt. Unless you formally bind the name Dave under the correct legal procedure such as Deedpoll, you cannot use it with financial institutions like PayPal or a bank.

In this situation, you are quite fortunate, because a real bank would respond to this in an abrupt fashion - as it is false representation and there would potentially be tax evasion concerns involved amongst other accusations. Please remember to never use your alias name in this fashion again.

Best Wishes,

Jason C

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.