New scam?

jeepster2007
New Community Member

I received this today. Probbly a scam - yes?

Subject: Robert, action recommended: update your browser today
To: *********************************
Date: Monday, June 6, 2011, 10:27 AM

Update your browser today to help keep your PayPal account secure.
Having trouble viewing this email? View online or text version

PayPal

Help Keep Your PayPal Account Secure – Update Your Browser Now

Hello <name removed>,

It looks like you may be using an outdated browser with known security issues. 

Help keep your computer and your PayPal account protected by updating your browser today.
Update Your Browsers
Go to: www.paypal.com/safebrowser
© 2011 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Andy

Hey all (as I'm sure there will be far more than just two of you on this post eventually :)).

So....funny story.  This actually is a legitimate PayPal email.  As many people are aware, older browsers are more susceptible to security issues that may compromise your PayPal access, and this is being sent out to customers with older browsers to remind them to update. 

And before it begins (although this won't stop it), I know that we say that we'll never include links in our emails.  I even said the exact same thing when I found out about this.  But really, what could we have directed you too?  "Surf the internet and find out how to update your browser!".  That actually sounds worse. 

I suppose we could've had a colored bar in your account telling you to "click here to find out how to update your browser"...honestly I'm not sure that would be any better.  I think it would at least cause the same amount of confusion.  And would probably have taken 10 times longer to implement.

Please keep in mind that this is being provided with the best of intentions and your security in mind, so I sincerely apologize for the confusion this is (and will) cause.

Finally, if you don't want to click on the link to find out how to update your browser...well...."Surf the internet and find out how to update your browser!" 😄

Andy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
105 REPLIES 105

PURPA-TRADER
New Community Member

I RECEIVED THE SAME EMAIL..AND IT LOOKS LIKE A SCAM TO GET YOUR NUMBERS.. YET ON THE REAL PAYPAL ACCOUNT I CAN''T FIND ANY THING THAT SAYS  (UPDATE YOUR BROWSER) ... MINE IS NEVER LISTED ANYWAY , BECAUSE IT IS  SMALL..(SLIMBROWSER) SOMEWHERE AROUND 4.2 MB.    I.EXPLORER  IS OVER 12 MBs..

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Andy

Hey all (as I'm sure there will be far more than just two of you on this post eventually :)).

So....funny story.  This actually is a legitimate PayPal email.  As many people are aware, older browsers are more susceptible to security issues that may compromise your PayPal access, and this is being sent out to customers with older browsers to remind them to update. 

And before it begins (although this won't stop it), I know that we say that we'll never include links in our emails.  I even said the exact same thing when I found out about this.  But really, what could we have directed you too?  "Surf the internet and find out how to update your browser!".  That actually sounds worse. 

I suppose we could've had a colored bar in your account telling you to "click here to find out how to update your browser"...honestly I'm not sure that would be any better.  I think it would at least cause the same amount of confusion.  And would probably have taken 10 times longer to implement.

Please keep in mind that this is being provided with the best of intentions and your security in mind, so I sincerely apologize for the confusion this is (and will) cause.

Finally, if you don't want to click on the link to find out how to update your browser...well...."Surf the internet and find out how to update your browser!" 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too

RJLOMMD
New Community Member
I received this email as well. What set me thinking it was a scam was that it offers to help me update my browser. I am already running IE8 and I dooubted that this version would be included with "older" less secure browsers.
Login to Me Too

mescrochet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I also received the e-mail, which I now know is legitimate.  However, when I tried to update to the newest version of Internet Explorer a while back, I was told I couldn't use it becasue I'm still using Windows XP, and the update was for Windows 7 users?  Has something changed?  Is there another updated brower for Windows XP users? 

Login to Me Too

DebCV
Contributor
Contributor

REALLY???

That is really shameful that PAYPAL would send a 175 character link to people who might have out of date browsers!

I mean they are targeting the folks most likely to be a bit behind in internet security and they are asking them to TRUST a link with 175 characters !!!!

I was contacted by a client today wondering if this was legitimate and went in search of the latest scam when I saw this in the forum!

BAD BAD BAD netiquette  PayPal!

Login to Me Too

techdragon
Contributor
Contributor

Andy,

Umm. I got this email as well - but I am using Firefox 4 at the most current version available so why would Paypal send this to me? It is a little off putting to send out an email that resembles spam to customers that don't fit that profile.

-J

Login to Me Too

topazx2
Contributor
Contributor

Also using the most current Firefox browser and got this message. To me that is considered a scam or at the very least SPAM.

I suggest you update your browser collection tool so it has the list of all the new browser versions.

Login to Me Too

rassie
New Community Member

I had the same question. I am using the latest browser in Foxfire.

Login to Me Too

TimothyPoplaski
Contributor
Contributor

I actually use THREE current browsers, at the same time, on the same computer. (It lets me log in to different accounts from the same source at the same time, like my bank or PayPal.)

Why did I receive an email suggesting I upgrade, when I'm already using IE9, FF4, and Chrome whatever it last autoupdated to?

Oh, and I also access from my Android phone using the PayPal app.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.