Unauthorized Payments to Microsoft Corporation

Deaddoll00
New Community Member

I was wondering if anyone has exerienced this:  Last night, I received an email notifying me that several charges had been made on my Paypal account on July 3d (I had a balance on it, which was used on these charges) that I had not authorized or heard of, paying to "The Microsoft Corporation". These are several charges, specifically:

$4.99

$19.99

$49.99

$4.99

$19.99

I've already filed a fraud claim with the Resolution Center, but wanted to document here and also ask if anyone was having the same experience? The transaction details provide zero information aside from the fact that the charges were paid to the "Microsoft Corporation" and a long distance "customer service" contact number, **remove number**.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

wulfom
Contributor
Contributor

It took 10 days to resolve mine (I'm officially getting my money back). Paypal says 7-10 days to resolve disputes. Paypal also says once it's resolved it may take up to 5 business days to get the credit to your account. So, I guess at max it can take 15 days till you get your money back.

Don't forget to change your password if this happened to you! Make it unique to paypal and don't use it with any other accounts.

Kudos to Paypal for giving me my money back. I hope they figure out how this happens and catch those responsible.

Login to Me Too

muktuk14
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got my money back as well. Think I was credited back on the 17th or something like that which was 13 days from when the charge happened and I called within a couple hours of getting the email. I would gamble that paypal is going to do nothing along the lines finding or charging the person that did all of this. Theres almost a 100% chance it didn't happen in the USA so their not going to bother trying to contact police in another country over a couple thousand bucks. Now if were a very small % (lets say 1%) of the people that noticed then they might do something. What I would LOVE for a paypal rep to answer is why they continued to allow the person to pull this stuff. I notified them on July 4th that it was a scam going on and that the account wasn't microsoft but they still left the account open so they could continue to try and get money off of other people. So to everyone that has had this happen to them after July 4th make sure to ask your paypal rep why no action was taken on the account to restrict this scam from gaining steam.

Oh and also I never got any payments made to me from another person as I had a paypal balance to cover the costs. If indeed our accts were "hacked" why would they have only take a % of what was in my balance and not the entire thing. Seems like paypal had a crack and is trying to say it was our fault not theirs.

Login to Me Too

GTAnime
New Community Member

happened to me today!!!! 3 payments made to Microsoft Corporation for $49.99, i called paypal says someone went on a web site of microsofts and authorized my paypal to be used for services and that microsoft can automatically debit my paypal, i had paypal investigate these charges as well as remove my authorization for any automatically debiting microsoft site. hope it is resolved soon!

Login to Me Too

Faul

I was charged 49.99 from Microsoft yesterday as well. I started a dispute on Paypal and am waiting for a response.

I also found out that my Gamertag for Xbox/Zune was transfered to another account. It was a real payment that went through to Microsoft.

My Paypal account was attached to my Xbox account and found out that it was charged for 4000 Microsoft Points via Paypal (which is $49.99), then my Gamertag was moved to another email address. 

To check that it was a legitimate purchase of MS points I looked up my Gamertag on 'http://www.xboxgamertag.com/' and found that the person that bought the points had bought a few games and was playing them just a few hours ago.

I am going to call Microsoft about this, and then Paypal to see if I can get my Gamertag back as well as my money. Wish me luck!

Login to Me Too

rayvenz

Whew.. I thought I was alone. on the 22nd of July, I was shocked when I found a payment sent to microsoft corp for $49. I immediately reported this and changed my password right away. And not only that, I withdrawn all my paypal money to my Atm bank account to have zero balance in paypal.

Yesterday, I was shocked again when i made an another unknown payment of $74.99 still to microsoft. It's like freaking me out. I reported this 2nd case and changed my security question as well. a minute after reporting the issue, another $49 payment came out of nowhere to Microsoft again and it was like so painful to see both in my heart and in my pocket.. It's not easy to lose a total of about $175 dollars in 3days as a normal Filipino employee doing such hard work.

At first I was just a bit fine since my paypal was zero balance, I thought nothing happened. but when I checked my bank account balance, it was like breaking my world to see deducted amounts from paypal since my card is connected to paypal.. This is not good, the fact that I'm still not sure to have the refund, and also what if this instances will still happen in the future going on and on. I don't know what's going on, what I know is I lost my money, I lost my motivation to work, I lost my inspiration to make money because of this.

I am not a microsoft user, I don't have any microsoft account or whatever, and I'm pretty sure about making payments and putting up my paypal infos, how come this happened?

I wish paypal will do something about this. If this thing will be ignored, it will pull down and change someones life in bad outcome, and its not a joke.

I need my money and a safety feeling in the future.. Please help me out to those who are able to fix this issue. T_T

Login to Me Too

rlin81

Do you or someone in your family own an xbox? That was where my charges were coming from.

Login to Me Too

lupstrupis
New Community Member

same here today!!! buddy u.u **bleep** **bleep** thiefs!!! Why the **bleep** on xmas eve? =/

Login to Me Too

sk8er431
Contributor
Contributor

i understand what u feel. it has happened to me and you will get your money back for sure.

i did get my money back within a week.

74.99 + 74.99 = 149.98

lastly cancel all your subscription in your paypal account to avoid further money from draining in your account. that's all i can recommend you.

Login to Me Too

Mirrikat
Contributor
Contributor

What's amazing to me is that the first complaint in this thread is July 4.  That means it's been going on for a while and Pay Pal can do nothing to stop it.

This happened to me on July 24th.  Pay Pal immediately limited my account.  Despite it being obvious to PayPal that this was a scam, I had to jump through hoops to get my account "unlimited" and am still waiting to get my $149.98 back.

On July 24 I got two e-mails on my iPhone stating that $74.99 had been removed twice from my PayPal account.  A third e-mail came in almost immediately stating that PayPal had limited my account.  I logged on and I changed my password, sent more personal information to Pay Pal to verify who I am (giving away more info that I ever wanted to), actively disputed the transactions listing them as unauthorized, and blocked the fake "Microsoft Corporation" from being able to "automatically withdraw" from my Pay Pal account.

Still waiting (7 days later) for my $149.98

After I get my money back I'm closing my account with PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

Bearpatch
Contributor
Contributor

I too got a msg stating that a payment had been made to Microsoft but it came after a payment had been made to me for 55.00 then the Microsoft for 55.34 I reported the activity right away (with 2 hours of getting the first email), changed my password and security questions and now less than 24 hours later PayPal confirmed fraud and has sent me an email stating I will get my money back.

Way to go PayPal for the speedy response.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.