Unauthorized Payments to Microsoft Corporation

Deaddoll00
New Community Member

I was wondering if anyone has exerienced this:  Last night, I received an email notifying me that several charges had been made on my Paypal account on July 3d (I had a balance on it, which was used on these charges) that I had not authorized or heard of, paying to "The Microsoft Corporation". These are several charges, specifically:

$4.99

$19.99

$49.99

$4.99

$19.99

I've already filed a fraud claim with the Resolution Center, but wanted to document here and also ask if anyone was having the same experience? The transaction details provide zero information aside from the fact that the charges were paid to the "Microsoft Corporation" and a long distance "customer service" contact number, **remove number**.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

AlexRamallo
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to be happening to a lot of people. I also was charged $9.99 from Microsoft for no reason. Could be a bunch of loser kids stealing peoples paypal accounts to fund their life-eating xbox live, or it could be an error on Microsofts part. Either way this is a major security concern and someone should do something about it. Luckily I only had like $50 on that account, but what if I had more? 

Login to Me Too

carps
New Community Member
This just happened to me too. $135 worth of Microsoft Points AND arcade games. I'm calling Paypal tomorrow.
Login to Me Too

r0g3rch3n
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me right now.  Did anyone else get a complete refund?  Any tips as to how to expedite the process?

In my case I got 2 incoming payments sent to me from another woman's account that got hacked and 3 payments to this "Microsoft Corporation".

Login to Me Too

Bridgebrain
Contributor
Contributor

They escalated it on my account. So far they've stolen 700$ and left me with 100$ in insufficient funds fees from my bank. This is 9 transactions over the course of 5 days, with more and more security measures added to my account. They haven't stopped, even with a full account overhaul, including the external security key.

The worst part is, there seems to be no way to stop them from charging more, since I haven't found a way to manually freeze my account. Any ideas?

Login to Me Too

Juicebox
Contributor
Contributor

IF all else fails, THEN initiate an immediate dispute with your bank.

I've recently had unauthorised activity go through a payment procesing service. It wasn't Paypal, thankfully. Unfortunately, the dispute was taking longer than I would like. I therefore, moved to file a claim for unauthorised charges. The bank recorded, expedited, and processed the claim. Charges were reveresed. This also works for credit cards, of course. 

Note: Be absolutely sure that you cannot resolve this dispute through Paypal first. Usually Paypal is excellent in dealing with these inconveniences.

Login to Me Too

magickeys

Wow....they got me too.  There were about 5 unauthorized charges in amounts like 9.99, 19.99, 79.99 all listed to my paypay account.  When I called Paypal, they said they had gone through my Xbox live account somehow.  They even showed some smaller transfers from my linked Bank of America Account, but strangely, they don't show up on my Bank of America account (At least not yet).  They're now investigating, but in the meantime, about 80 bucks is gone.

Login to Me Too

HRK702
Contributor
Contributor

I had 2 unauthorized payments totalling $125 taken from my PayPal account this morning. I was going crazy trying to figure out what I had authorized Microsoft to charge me for until I saw all these posts. Has anyone gotten their money back? how long did it take? Is PayPal doing anything to put an end to this problem?

Login to Me Too

Bowtome
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me yesterday. £17, £17 and £51.

I have found out what happened.

Somebody hacked my windows live(marketplace) account and bought 10000 microsoft points. They they purchased some xbox live gold thingies(I don't have an xbox)

If i try and reset the password, it will send me a new password which is good, but they have somehow managed to add 2 new emails to my account so they will see the new password.

I quickly rang the bank and stopped my paypal direct debit, and stopped the one to microsoft. No money has come out of my account only from Paypal so far and they are fixing that.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.