Someone wants to purchase my Craiglist item...scam?

tgelston
Contributor
Contributor

Like others on this forum, I have an item on craigslist and have received a suspicious inquiry.  Suspicious because:

1. The guy claims to be an oceanographer at sea

2. Wants to buy "the item" (a dining room set) based only on the pictures and surprize his Dad who lives in CA

3. Wants to pay using PayPal and requests my PayPal account e-mail

4. Has very bad grammar for an oceanographer

I've looked at other posts to this board and I'm not sure I understand the scam.  If he sends the money to my account and I hold the dining room set, what is the risk?

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

NEVER give out your phone number.

Your address can be traced.

Login to Me Too

Gthanks
New Community Member

I got this email from a suspect buyer of an item on Craigs list:

Hello, i have made the payment so i expect that you get an email from paypal any moment for confirmation I suggest you check your paypal email inbox or spam box for their email.I want you to know that i added an extra fee of 620 to the total payment which i need you to help send to the agent coming for pick up and it needs to be sent via western union as thats the only way he can get it. I am sorry i should have informed you but i only got the urgent message from the pick up agent that he will need the funds before he can come to pick up when i was about making payment. I have notified paypal of the proceedures so there will be no problem. I also added 100 to the fees for any charges incurred. Please help to send the fee to the agent when you get the payment confirmation and get back to me if theres anything you need to know.

I have included the agent name and address below.

Seun Abraham

no 3 Challenge

Ibadan

OYO

Nigeria

Hope to read from you soon.

===================================================

I am not going to send anything to anyone without recieving the money first, of course! I wanted to post this as it seems this is their latest tactics. 12/28/2010. What a bunch of Goobers!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.