New scam?

jeepster2007
New Community Member

I received this today. Probbly a scam - yes?

Subject: Robert, action recommended: update your browser today
To: *********************************
Date: Monday, June 6, 2011, 10:27 AM

Update your browser today to help keep your PayPal account secure.
Having trouble viewing this email? View online or text version

PayPal

Help Keep Your PayPal Account Secure – Update Your Browser Now

Hello <name removed>,

It looks like you may be using an outdated browser with known security issues. 

Help keep your computer and your PayPal account protected by updating your browser today.
Update Your Browsers
Go to: www.paypal.com/safebrowser
© 2011 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.
Login to Me Too
105 REPLIES 105

sammojo

I also have the same email..this is odd. Not sure about this one.

Login to Me Too

joochung
New Community Member

I guess what would have been nice is to see the same notice/message in our PayPal accounts page after we log in. Seeing the same message in our accounts page would assure us that the email was legit.

Without that, the email looks suspicious.

Joo

Login to Me Too

wendyrug
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using Firfox 4.0.1 & still got the message. 

My Firefox claims to be up to date.  Is there any way I can determine why I was sent this email?

(It seems that the message ought to include the browser/version-number which caused the exception... it would help us figure out how to make appropriate changes.)

Tnx

Login to Me Too

ARAZ
Contributor
Contributor

This lowers my confidence in PayPal for corporate use.  Why not put a message on our dashboard when we log in mentioning the detected version of our browser and recommending a particular update?

This email is not only suspicious, it is intrusive.  Browser type and version are mostly a carefully chosen and controlled aspect of a company desktop environment.  Your email is fine for Joe Consumer, but not for people in enterprises.

Login to Me Too

Not applicable

Hi, I just received this email notice saying to click on the link to check and update my browser for secure use of Paypal.  I did not trust it and did not click on it.  Instead I logged into my paypal account myself and checked for any messages or notifications and could find none.  So I suspected it as a phishing attempt.  I read on here that it is legit.  You said that you could figure out no better way to present this browser update check without including url links of sorts?  I recommend that you don't ever include url links in your notifications like these, but rather just tell your users to manually log in to their paypal account to check for the new message info.  You should present your updates info to users when they log into their accounts.  That way we (the users) will be confident that it is not a fake phishing scam.

BTW, I too am using the latest IE9 browser all up to date and I still received this paypal notice saying that my browser is out of date and that I need to click on that link to find out how to update it.  Hogwash.  I  am already updated.  So this is a confusing paypal email notification if it is indeed real and legit. 

Please change the way you niotify us by not including any links in your emails to us and make that standard proceduere policy!  That way if and when we get future emails soliciting us that do include a url link to click on, we will know for sure it is a phishing scamster!  Get it? Hope so.

Login to Me Too

M6805
Contributor
Contributor

I may have been born at "NIGHT", but it wasn't "LAST NIGHT"!

Why would PayPal send me this recommendation without knowing which browser I use?

When on my Mac I use Safari Version 5.0.5 (6533.21.1) and when on my PC's all are using IE9!

Looks to me like this should be a check upon log-in and then lead us to an appropriate link!

Sounds to me like the so-called Moderator "PayPal Andy"  is as much a scam as the email itself.

Login to Me Too

ErinK
Contributor
Contributor

Seriously, this is a textbook scam - all I have saying otherwise is some guy who doesn't even have a full profile? A gif that says "mod" is not enough to make me completely give up common sense. If there's nothing about it when I log in to PayPal it doesn't exist, period. 

And my browser is up to date, so **bleep** it. 😉

Login to Me Too

msm_35
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestion - just send out an email stating the situation and instruct us to log into our PayPal account to learn more or whatever. Don't include a link. We should know how to get to PayPal. Just a thought that would cut down on suspicion...

Login to Me Too

Meander061
New Community Member

@PayPal_Andy wrote:

Hey all (as I'm sure there will be far more than just two of you on this post eventually :)).

So....funny story.  This actually is a legitimate PayPal email.  As many people are aware, older browsers are more susceptible to security issues that may compromise your PayPal access, and this is being sent out to customers with older browsers to remind them to update. 

And before it begins (although this won't stop it), I know that we say that we'll never include links in our emails.  I even said the exact same thing when I found out about this.  But really, what could we have directed you too?  "Surf the internet and find out how to update your browser!".  That actually sounds worse. 

I suppose we could've had a colored bar in your account telling you to "click here to find out how to update your browser"...honestly I'm not sure that would be any better.  I think it would at least cause the same amount of confusion.  And would probably have taken 10 times longer to implement.

Please keep in mind that this is being provided with the best of intentions and your security in mind, so I sincerely apologize for the confusion this is (and will) cause.

Finally, if you don't want to click on the link to find out how to update your browser...well...."Surf the internet and find out how to update your browser!" 😄

Andy

Your link in the email doesn't even go to a secure server.

Login to Me Too

Tominphx
Contributor
Contributor

With all due respect, I must dispute your explanation that there was no other way for PayPal to handle this announcement. The email incorrectly stated that PayPal had detected me using an un-updated browser. That is total B.S. PayPal could not have possibly detected that in my case, because I keep my browsers 100% current. I accept all updates automatically. And I hadn't logged in for several weeks in any case.

Your people using language that sounds like a phishing scam, in order to "trick" people into doing something "for their own good" is why your email looked like a phishing scam.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.