Information about Recent Hacking Claims

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Everyone,

The PayPal blog has posted an article regarding recent news you may have heard, regarding a group of hackers, who claim to have released PayPal account information to the public.  To be clear, the PayPal site has not been breached or hacked in any way. 

For the full story, please visit the PayPal Blog. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

bluntmanchronic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I have been hearing an awful lot about unauthorized transactions on peoples accounts, especially from Microsoft.

Not saying Paypal security has been breached, but many Gmail and other email accounts have been and from there it is easy to hack into individual paypal accounts.

Change all your passwords or close your accounts.

Login to Me Too

txlady65
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know what is going on. I have had paypal for several years with no problems. Tonight I login and someone has hacked my account or something because I'm showing my account has been hit for $1,000.00. This is coming out of my checking account and I don't even have that kind of money in my checking account. I filled out the unauthorized claim form on this. I pray this money does not get taken out of my checking account.

Login to Me Too

cindylee

I recently purchased a program through PayPal. I received the normal emails associated with a purchase from PayPal and the merchant. I then received an email which states "We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.

I then received one stating "This email confirms that you have cancelled your billing agreement with Microsoft Corporation. No further payments will be made from your PayPal account to this merchant. If you have any further questions about the agreement, or wish to reinstate it, please contact Microsoft Corporation directly." I have never had an account with Microsoft.

Another email came. This one states "An unauthorized account activity claim was recently filed against the following transaction. We need additional information from you within the next 7 days. Please log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Center to see the details of this case. There, you can enter any information regarding this case that will help us fight the reversal on your behalf.
Using both the transaction ID and case ID was unable to find anything concerning this matter.

This morning I received yet another email. This one says "Recently we notified you that an unauthorized activity claim had been filed against a transaction you received. You have four more calendar days to respond to our request for additional information. After that, we will continue our investigation without your input."

I am very frustrated! This transaction was a refund of $99 that I did not request and should not be mine. The frustration is that I am unable to find the transaction to respond to. All of the emails look very legit and have no links other than paypal links. And I can't find anyway to contact PayPal! Any help would be VERY appreciated!

Login to Me Too

Bearpatch
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that you would want to post information stating the site had not been compromised so that people dont panic and close their PP accounts or file a class-action lawsuit but given the fact that so many of us had fraudulent transactions take place over the last 3 weeks, it seems hard to believe that the site was not compromised.

I had a strange payment added to my account and then a strange MS payment withdrawn less than 1 minute later, that is fraud and smacks of a compromised site.

Too many people are saying they have experienced fraud with regards to PP there is no way that PP can claim the site wasnt hacked.  While the word hack is probably the wrong word it is tantamount to the same thing, user accounts have been compromised, that really does say class-action all over it.

Login to Me Too

b259m
New Community Member

SOMETHING HAPPENED Someone broke into my account on August 19.  They made three charges.  Two in  US$ the third was a currency translation into Polish Zloty.

I disputed the claims the next day.  The two in US$ were immediately refunded.

The third one in Polizh Zloty has not been resolved.  This security breech of paypal is very troubling. 

Login to Me Too

SupSvc
Contributor
Contributor

I just love how Paypal claims there hasn't been any breach ....followed by several of their customers telling them otherwise - and no response from Paypal.

Just like there's been no response from Paypal (other than the canned email response telling me how to avoid phishing) to my multiple emails about the THREE transactions that came through and removed $55 from my account - and the one attempted (but not successful) that tried to remove $1800.  The transactions are still pending, Paypal has not responded, and I cannot even close my account because the transactions are pending.  

Thanks for nothing, Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.